• Show
Clear All

Automatix-Kubuntu 1.3 released! AKA EasyKubuntu

THIS WORKS!!!

Find full details & Instructions here;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=105343

Capabilities:
    1) Installs multimedia codecs
    2) Installs all Firefox plugins (java, flash, etc) (except Adobe reader and mplayer)
    3) Installs RAR, ACE and UNRAR archive support
    4) Installs skype
    5) Installs Acrobat reader 7 and firefox plugin for the same.
    6) Installs DC++ , amule and Limewire (file sharing progs)
    7) Installs FrostWire (GPL clone of LimeWire)
    8) Installs multimedia editors (Audacity (audio), Kino (video), EasyTag (ID3))
    9) Installs DVD (dvdrip) ripper
    10) Installs Mplayer and mplayerplug-in version 3.05 for Firefox
    11) Installs totem-xine, VLC and Beep Media Player (with docklet)
    12) Installs Opera Browser
    13) Installs Bittornado and Azureus (Bittorrent clients)
    14) Installs Avidemux (Video editing tool) (New version 2.1.0)
    15) Installs MS true type fonts
    16) Installs Streamripper and Streamtuner
    17) Installs NON-FREE audio and dvd codecs
    18) Upgrades Open Office to 2.0 (final version), installs openoffice clipart and installs OO2 thumbnailer. (no support for AMD64 and ppc packages)
    19) Installs SUN'S JAVA JRE version 1.5
    20) Installs SUN's JAVA JDK version 1.5
    21) Installs wine (u need to run winecfg manually after installation)
    22) *) Gamepads (Makes USB gamepads work)
    23) *) Turns DMA ON on Intel and AMD machines (needs a restart)
    24) *) NVIDIA cards (Detects Nvidia cards and installs drivers) (Needs a restart)
    25) *) Adds midi capability to your Ubuntu box (test by playing a midi file with timidity or pmidi from terminal)
    26)*) Installs Firefox 1.5 with all its plugins
    * --> These options require manual intervention and clicking. Please stand by!

Re: Automatix-Kubuntu 1.1 released! AKA EasyKubuntu

Looks cool. I'd try it out and post results, but I already have about 99% of those programs/utilities.
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Re: Automatix-Kubuntu 1.3 released! AKA EasyKubuntu

I installed automatix on Kbreezy, but couldn't watch
      dvds until getting Vlc media player...

Comment

Now those of us running dapper can grab most of these already from Universe/Multiverse, so hopefully they can simplify it for dapper

it would be so much easier just to have *all* the missing things put into one repository so everything can be done via adept/synaptic by adding just one location, defeat the need for an extra program (unless there are still hardware tweaks to be done)

Comment

The link is dead.. I get ArnieBoy's info and then the link dies... Does anyone have the actual link where the software is? Yes I know there is a search engine called Google, but when query for this program comes up a lot the links point to ArnieBoy.
          Uhmm..... Yeah.. What he said...

Comment

here is the newest instructions for Kubuntu Automatix

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=151387

Comment

thanks i needed that. its a great thing for a n00b like me. :P

Comment

I think this your better thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=223087

Comment

I actually stuck w/ Ubuntu for awhile because I was worried that Automatix wouldn't work in Kubuntu even though I prefer KDE. Well, I went for it and Automatix worked flawlessly for me on Kubuntu...it's a wonderful program and my hat's off to the developers.

Comment

Is there any chances that it will be included into further distros, maybe on some repos?

Comment

Is there any chances that it will be included into further distros, maybe on some repos?
                      Probably Not. See this Kubuntu Wiki page.

My own view is that customization scripts like Automatix and Easy Ubuntu are A VERY BAD THING. In addition to the idealogical objections of Free Software purists, there are very good practical reasons to shun these scripts. It's actually not very difficult to add all the things that these scripts add and perform the appropriate tweaks to your system. Ample information is available in places like the Restricted Formats wiki page and, if you dig out the information for yourself and perform the operations by hand, at the very least, you'll know what you did, so you'll know where you went wrong when the customization instructions don't work on your system for any one of a large number of reasons.

The customization scripts are designed to handle a few standard tasks on a few standard system configurations. Most of the people who are tempted to use the customization scripts are ill equipped to trouble-shoot the problems that arise when their system configuration diverges too far from the assumptions of the person who wrote the script. Many of them can't even READ the script because they don't know the language in which it was written (Bash, Perl, or Python, not English, Spanish, Japanese, etc.). Therefore, I think that these scripts are only useful for "lazy gurus" and should be avoided by normal users like most of us.

Comment

Very well put, askrieger!
                        I couldn't agree more. From my perspective, if you have to edit your sources.list to get one of the scripts, you might as well enable Universe/Multiverse and even the commercial repositories, backports and the like and get at least 95% of what theses scripts offer via Your Favorite Package Manager. It would be so much easier simply to organize one third-party repository with those items that are missing.

Comment

Working...
                        X