This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fsck exit 3

for some reason when my linux partition decides to run an fsck check during boot up near the end of it i keep getting an exit 3 signal. i have data i need on that partition and i cannot get rid of my windows one. is there a way to break the loop. there is data that is essential that i get off of there

filesystem is ext3
    kubuntu feist x86_64

Re: fsck exit 3

Originally posted by eagles051387
    is there a way to break the loop
    Unmount the partition in question, then manually conduct a file system check (including repairing where required) ... further reading: man fsck.ext3

Comment

i cant get into the desktop what soever to do that. this is during boot that this happens

Comment

this is during boot that this happens
        Then boot from a live OS and check the file system from there.

Comment

i tried that but nothing comes up in the fstab to allow me to do that

Comment

Have you tried mounting it?
            Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

i tried that but nothing comes up in the fstab to allow me to do that
              fstab just tells the system how to mount filesystems, it's not needed to run fsck. Since you wish to run the check on an unmounted filesystem check the correct partition device with 'sudo fdisk -l' (should be something like /dev/hda1...depending on your partitioning scheme)

Comment

i tried the fdisk -l then i ran fsck /dev/hda3 and it didnt work when i restart and load the kernel it still goes through fsck and it fails with exit 3 still.

Comment

This is a long shot, but if you can get your hands on a knoppix live cd, try it out from there and run the check on it. I normally keep a Knoppix CD for times like these.
                  Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Working...
                  X