X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Package Requests

Originally posted by nilsA
    Originally posted by MatthewSchenker
    How about including the SeaMonkey suite in the repository (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/). With all the browsers and e-mail applications included in there, why not add this one, which is really good?
    Matt
    Tried SeaMonkey for real today - on one hand, it is nice, quick.
    On the other - I feel it a little premature to include. For instance, to install themes, you have to do a lot of special things, as the scripts (most of them anyway) don't work for very many.

So, to put something like that in would, in my opinion, just add to the feeling of Linux being too complicated, for geeks only.

Later, when SeaMonkey is at the level of Firefox in user friendliness, I will go that direction.
    Funny you should bring my quote into this. I have recently uninstalled SeaMonkey in favor of Firefox and Thunderbird! I still like SeaMonkey for many reasons, but it is just much easier to use and maintain Firefox and Thunderbird in Linux.

Comment

I'm fairly new to linux world, been working with windows for years now. Anyway I do love the system and the graphics and most of all "free" programs. I have been working with kubuntu64 7.10 for about 2 weeks now, "my wife is hating me" trying to get it running smothly. First was the java problem wich I'm still working on "frostwire do not work" and the flash player "3 year old son website not working" issue. I like the OS so much I installed on both of my PC's. My few complaints are the flash player and the java issue and some of the software in the repos are not up to date in releases, example DEVEDE version 2.11 in adept , in their web site they are up to 2.14 or some like that. I have been fixing most of the issues by searching in the forums or google. At the same time since I'm new to linux I have screw up the OS more than once trying to fix stuff 'big concern", having to reload everything again. In the installation package should include specially java or flash or a way to installed them properly or automatic 'like windows" with out having to do all the search, research, consonle commands and workaround ways. I now if you use adept should work, well in my case it did not for the 64 or 32 systems and it looks that way for a lot of other people. I had the same problem with both of my PCs. I love the OS, but spending too much time could cost my marriage. Like I said I love the OS and already got rid of windows in my laptop. My PC I'm running dual boot, because java and flash player issues. Main point It should not take someone 2 weeks plus sitting in front of a PC to get it up and running properly. Specially married people. I'm sticking with kubuntu for now, hopefully this ussues will be addresed. Flash and java a more streamline installation process (one that works) and update software in the repos.
      AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800<br />NVIDIA 7300GT<br />Kubuntu 7.10<br /><br />Dell inspiron 1000<br />test bed

Comment

...I have screw up the OS more than once trying to fix stuff...
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Two things I'd like to see is 3D options (Compiz) out of box and Envy.

Comment

KDE 4 actually has a built-in compositing engine very similar to that of Compiz, but is much better integrated into KDE (Compiz was originally designed for Gnome, and has some compatibility issues with KDE). You can check it out now, if you haven't already, or just be patient until they release the stable KDE 4.1, which will be some time around July.
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
            X