This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Package Requests

I would say that on the 64 bits version a 32 bits Konsole should be included, that way linux32 and ia32 packages will not needed to be installed after a fresh installation. And, yes I'm also a SuSE user.

Regards,

MepisReign

P.S.: Another request would be something like ConvertxtoDVD, we really need a software capable to transfer AVi files to DVD (subs included) without major hassles.
    Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

The printer drivers from foomatic-db-gutenprint.

It was a major hassle to identify this and have it installed.

Rather I would leave out BloatOffice and download it once kUbuntu is installed.

Alternatively a question in the install wizzard should ask if you want to install this file with additional printer drivers and then supply and Adept like solution.

Comment

Please update KDissert to Semantik; KDissert has been obsoleted and replaced by Semantik.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I know it's too late for any major changes to the 7.10, but perhaps you may consider it for 8.04 version: I'd also like to see a control center like in Mandriva (picture).
          In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

@integr8e: I believe someone is already trying to package Semantik. Of course, it'll be too late for Gutsy.

@Skydancer: Making something like drakconf (Mandriva Control Center) is a bit more complicated than simply packaging it. For one, MCC is very specific to Mandriva and Mandriva's tools/applications. Second, MCC is 100% fully GTK (KDE uses Qt). So that's going to be a tad more difficult.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

That's alright, as long as somebody's working on it, I'm good.
              Asus G1S-X3:
              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

FLASH4LINUX or UIRA would be really nice

Comment

How about including the SeaMonkey suite in the repository (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/). With all the browsers and e-mail applications included in there, why not add this one, which is really good?
                  Matt

Comment

Not a package request (sorry), but still something that I think would be very beneficial: Include a README file that contains information that the user needs to be aware of after installation. This file would open automatically once the desktop is loaded. An example of what would be included would be the instructions for removing the installation CD as an active repository (how many new users to Gutsy have experienced this problem, and didn't know why it was happening or what to do about it).
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog: I think that's a good idea, but I've come to understand that there's an unspoken rule against first-run startup wizards or windows in Ubuntu-land. So it would have to be done somewhere else or in some other way.

If you could start a new thread about this, maybe we can try to flesh out the details. I'm interested in something like this as well. Perhaps we can have it in conjunction with https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KubuntuExtras idea.

Thanks!
                      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Jacato -

Thank you for the comments. I'd be happy to start a new thread. Where would you suggest I put it?
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good question... Perhaps we can wait when Open Source has already opened up a Hardy subforum. Or maybe under Everything Else for now...
                          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewSchenker
                            How about including the SeaMonkey suite in the repository (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/). With all the browsers and e-mail applications included in there, why not add this one, which is really good?
                            Matt
                            Tried SeaMonkey for real today - on one hand, it is nice, quick.
                            On the other - I feel it a little premature to include. For instance, to install themes, you have to do a lot of special things, as the scripts (most of them anyway) don't work for very many.

So, to put something like that in would, in my opinion, just add to the feeling of Linux being too complicated, for geeks only.

Later, when SeaMonkey is at the level of Firefox in user friendliness, I will go that direction.

Comment

+1 for Semantik into universe. Their native waf install leads to dependency hell ----

Comment

moonlight

Comment

Working...
                                X