Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert from linux-server to linux-generic? (Nvidia driver install problem)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert from linux-server to linux-generic? (Nvidia driver install problem)

My real question here is, how do I get apt to stop thinking that I need the linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-15-server repo?

I have a host of likely related problems. I'll start with some background. I just re-installed my system to 7.04. It ran fine on 6.x, but was a little sluggish and had a few annoying bugs so I decided to upgrade. I have an Nvidia video card and the "plain" driver is not so good - text is very hard to read. I had the binary proprietary driver before, so I tried to install it again, using automatix, which worked beautifully on 6.x. Well it fails on this new box. It can't find the linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-15-server repository. This is because it doesn't exist.

Now, I do not know why I have the server kernel, but I guess I installed it at some point. I looked in Adept and the linux-server package was installed - I don't remember doing that - this was a desktop install. So I removed the linux-server package and rebooted. But I get the same failure again.

More background: I have fake-raid (LVM) on anAMD64. So I used the alternate install, just as I did for 6.x. Before, I had grub, but now I have Lilo. I guess someone decided to regress the boot manager? I read something that said grub didn't work on fake-raid, but I was definitely using it before. I have this in /boot:

0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 2007-05-14 00:53 initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-server
    0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 2007-05-14 00:29 initrd.img.old -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

Anyway, for some reason, edits to my /etc/lilo.conf file get ignored. I changed the delay=5 to delay=50, but lilo ignores that and just always immediately boots to the default kernel. I have set default to LinuxOLD which maps to initrd.img.old. So, in theory, I am booting the generic kernel, right? There is no mention of linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-15-server repository in my /etc/apt/sources.list.

Working...
X