X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Languages

I am not a big Computer person

i just know how to fix something and kinda learned from playing with computers

I want to use Linux since it has the best interface to work with but with terminal i don't know which language to use. I am going to college next year for computer information technologies if anyone could recommend some good computer languages that are not too hard to learn but will be helpful i would appreciate it

-tyma.

Re: Computer Languages

I suggest you to learn C or C++. They are simple and with them you can also create low-level linux programs.

Comment

C or C++ are good indeed.
      Java is also a good one to learn, as it ranges from low level all teh way up to some extremely difficult stuff

(I ran my own java game-server)

If you like VB, use realbasic, thats a cross platform equivalent of VB.

Comment

I strongly desagree. While C and C++ is the language, it's probably not the best choice to get started on programing. Specially C++ .

I'd choose python.

Javier.

Comment

I started programming in BASIC (on a BBC Model B no less), moved to VB, learnt some bad programming habits, tried learning C, gave up, learnt some JavaScript, came to university, learned Haskell, Oberon(!), Java, O'Caml and taught myself PHP and C++...

Comment

I'm kinda in the same situation as mactyma, except for the university-part. In other words: I learned my self (and some forums learned me ) to find my way on computers, but I would like to learn more and perhaps start with some programming.
            @ Javier (and others as well of course): why Python over C and C++? I have to admit I liked the "they are simple"-part that Dermochelys mentioned. And they are very well known. Therefore, I'd like to know why I should choose Python then.

Comment

Learning programming really consists of learning two separate subjects. One is the syntax of the computer language. The other is how to write code to perform useful tasks. Python is relatively simple syntactically and allows you to start doing useful things without too much time spent memorizing where curly brackets, parentheses, and semi-colons go. However, you have to work to figure out what you're doing. On the other hand, C has a rich syntax and let's you work both close to the machine, and at a very high level with one language, but it's not easy to learn. Worthwhile things never are. If you intend to go on with computers, either will get you started. But you'll still be using C when Python is just a memory.

In my opinion, the best way to learn C is with the book "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. The best way to learn Python is with the website "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist with Python". You can also buy the book.

Comment

First, python is an interpreted language. I feel that is a very important for a begginer.

You can try things interactively on the shell, this will help you a lot. Also free from the compile bit, trial and error are way faster.

Second its syntax makes programs readable. It's quite easier to pick a random python program and understand it than picking a random C one.

And I don't expect it to die soon .

The best way to learn python in "Dive into python", IMHO.

Javier.

Comment

I'll first try to mange Python then. As it my first computer language I would like to learn, and I don't need it for my job (so it's purely out of interest), I think it's better if I take the advantage of spending a little less time memorising about the brackets and stuff. If I survive and I'm willing to take another one on, I can still decide to.

So, thanks a lot to both of you.

Comment

"Dive into Python" is available as a Kubuntu package! It's called (curiously enough) "diveintopython". I actually learned Python from D.I.P., but I'm not sure it's really the right choice for a beginner. To quote from the package description:
                    free Python book for experienced programmers
                    I can attest that it assumes you know about things like the relationship between recursion and loops by the second chapter, and that you're into lambda functions by chapter 4 with very little more explanation than "borrowed from LISP". I don't think that that's really a good pace for a first introduction to programming.

Comment

Working...
                    X