Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] How to transfer short cuts from Kubuntu 18.04 to Kubuntu 22.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to transfer short cuts from Kubuntu 18.04 to Kubuntu 22.04?

Hello Everybody,

I have many short cuts in Kubuntu 18.04 and I would like to transfer them to Kubuntu 22.04. Please do you know where the short-cuts are stored?

What do you mean by "short cuts"?

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you oshunluvr for your answer, I mean your own shortcuts that you define with for instance "Shift+H:E:L:L:O" and for which you choose the shortcut and where you can add a comment. You should access to them with systemsettings.

Comment

Ahh, thank you. I understand.

The file you're looking for is ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc

In theory, you could copy it from your 18.04 install into 22.04. It's possible there may be some incompatibility but I doubt anything would break. Keep a copy of the original just in case something goes wrong.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've never done it, but there's system settings, shortcuts, Export Scheme button. For custom shortcuts, click the group, click Edit, Export Group.

I'll be interested to know how you get on with this. KDE shortcuts have been buggy and at times broken for me since KDE 5 (aka plasma). I sometimes have to reset everything to get them to work again.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Hello oshunluvr and jlittle,
            Thank you very much for you piece of advice.
            1) I tried to export. There was three possibilities for "export action":
            now how it is, activated, desactivated.
            I chosed "now how it is". I exported a txt file.
            It was not the kind of file expected to be imported. I wrote "anykind" and I imported it. Nothing happened.

2) I substituted the content of kglobalshortcutsrc from Kubuntu 22.04 with the content of the same file of Kubuntu 18.04. Nothing happened.

I started again the computer and nothing happened.

Maybe I should try to export with the activated or desactivated option. I don't understand what it means althought I've been long looking in the web.

Thank you again
            Last edited by nicrnicr; Apr 23, 2022, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
              Maybe I should try to export with the activated or desactivated option. I don't understand what it means althought I've been long looking in the web.

Thank you again
              My guess is a shortcut is only registered, you have to specifically activate it. An example is "switch one desktop down" which is bound to meta+ctrl+down but it is not active until you click it.

Comment

Thank you arsivci, I will try to import an activated export, and if nothing happens an unactivated one.

Comment

This link explains how to export shortcuts:
                  https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...stom-shortcuts

Comment

I've had trouble with exporting/importing shortcuts with Plasma in the past.

I actually keep a list of shortcut commands that I use so I can (relatively) quickly recreate them by hand.

Comment

Working...
                    X