Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] driver for Epson ecortank scanner and Ecotank printing comment

Hi
    I finally "bit the bullet" and purchased a physical Epson Ecotank at a certain "office store" because it was literally only about 15 dollars more than replacing the cartridges for my HP Envy 4520.

a ) I had no problem installing drivers for the HP Envy for both the printer side and scanner side and both worked perfectly. But the cartridges are VERY expensive and one cannot use a third party cartridge.
    b) I had always like the idea of the "ecotank" printers and thought I would "take a lark".

So, here is the situation.

a) the printer driver installed correctly and it does, indeed, print just fine.
    b) there is a LOT of ink in the "tanks" and it has a physical "window" where one can physically see the level of ink.

c) it will not scan, simple as that.

I have fiddled with trying to get the scanner driver and cannot seem to find anything.

I can still run the HP ENVY as a "scanner" even with no ink, so I can "get things done" but now have used up another usb port on the MOBO and also have another piece of hardware on the desk.

BTW... the device itself has a VERY small foot print, BUT, the exact same "glass for scanning" size as the physically larger HP ENVY. the device is 15 inches / 35 cm by 12 inches 30 cm.

Soooooo

If anyone could help me with finding a SCANNER driver, I have looked in the usual places and found only the Epson supposed ones, but there are no less than four included files: core and plugins.

I used the following for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit which always works with other things.

I also went through the suggestion to "archived" versions and it did not work either.

http://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php

It offers to extract to .tmp and seems to so do ( .debs DO APPEAR.. and when clicked they seem to install, even offering to bring other packages ) but when I then try to use xsane it does not find a device.

What would be greatly appreciated would be just a simple .deb.

This bollux up is one reason why i have always stuck with HP even when they are messing people over with ink costs.

thanks ahead of time!

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 19, 2021, 01:15 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

BTW
    I tried:

sane-find-scanner

and got back that "permission was denied"

I then tried

sudo sane-find-scanner

and got a bunch of hodge podge

Here is a linky to a discussion page about how one must write a rule which I probably will NOT do.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1240...-running-ubunt

And here is another post which even shows the output that I get and says that i need to write a UDEV rule..

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...dev-rules-unle

Now this question arises.

Do I just need to install the latest Kubutu?

if not then that will probably not be done because when I did it just kept popping KDEinit errors over and over and over... so no...

so, anyway...

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 19, 2021, 01:15 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

To admins please delete this post
      Installing Kubuntu 20.10 found the device both the printer and the scanner and that using the LIVE CD!
      woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

You never did give the specific model of the printer/scanner, and how it is connected (network/usb/wifi). I bet it would have been easy to either upgrade sane or other similar , maybe even simpler thing to get the scanner working. many printers/scanners work just fine without the manufacturer provided utilities.

Comment

ok!
          lol I looked back and I DID NOT!!!
          stupid me.
          thank you!
          woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X