This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Fails after Latest Upates with: starting version 219

I have not been able to boot Vivid since the latest updates. I downloaded the 14th March build and that would not allow me to install Vivid. It presented me with a login screen and when I used enter it rewrote the login screen. I then used an older build (10th March) to reinstall and after updating 185 packages I could not boot the system.

Before getting to the login screen it stops with the message starting version 219. I assume that this is a kernel problem and hope it gets fixed. If it is not, then I would like to know how to get my system back again.

Ubuntu+1 - Thread: Boots into terminal after update/upgrade: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2268914

Kubuntu-devel - sddm not starting after upgrade: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...ch/009362.html
    Try Me !

Comment

Thanks for the reference on how to restore my system. When I first encountered this problem, I did not find this reference and what I did find made my system worse.

For my system, when I get the starting version 219 message, I enter alt+ctrl + F2 to enter text mode and I can then login. The command
      Code:
      systemctl start sddm
      then requires password and after this the login screen is started and I then enter the password again.

I certainly hope that Jonathan Riddell is able to locate the problem soon as all the download iso images will not work. I was fortunate to have an iso image prior to this problem.

Comment

I'm not sure the "starting version 21" message is related. After installing the Beta and running updates, I see that message as well. I had assumed it was Nvidia related. My system has been up for a few weeks without incident, so my plan is to wait until the final release before updating the system again. After reading this and some chatter on IRC, I'm not too optimistic about the state my system would be in after a full upgrade. My only real point here is that I see that annoying message as well on boot, but my system will load OK at the moment.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

From https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...332/comments/6

Code:
          To fix this problem, do:
          sudo systemctl enable sddm.service -f
          sudo reboot
          I've rebooted a few times since doing this and no problems.

Comment

I'm also seeing the message "starting version 219". But my system is ok, it boots fine and my sddm version is 0.11.0-0ubuntu4.
            I've upgraded from Kubuntu 14.10 and I'm really glad I did it. I know the risks, but I don't remember last time I was so happy with my OS. I just hope everything is going to be fine until final release. I did hold an update that would remove xserver-xorg-video-modesetting, though. It seemed dangerous...

Comment

No ill effects here letting the update remove xserver-xorg-video-modesetting.

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                I'm also seeing the message "starting version 219".
                That's the version of systemd currently used by Vivid.

(Screenshot because at some point the URL to that package might show a later version.)

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post

Code:
                  To fix this problem, do:
                  sudo reboot
                  Glad to hear that this approach works. When I first had this problem I tried this approach and maybe I was too hasty and, in my opinion, it didn't work. So I was reluctant to try it again.

When I tried it this time, I got the pulsing Kubuntu logo and no progress beyond this point. I powered off and had another go. This time the system stopped at a black screen, so I rebooted and used the advance option to boot the system and this time it worked. I then shutdown and that process was very slow. I had another go with the normal boot and that worked, and has worked correctly ever since.

So now I do not have to enter a trail of passwords and I hope this approach encourages others to try and try again until the system clears itself. As I have both an Intel and Nvidia cards in my system it could be that which is causing the problem. I should point out that I have not been successful at installing any Nvidia driver.

Comment

Bug #1432171 - Starting version 219 "systemd-boot" : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1432171
                    Try Me !

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post

Code:
                      To fix this problem, do:
                      sudo reboot
                      I've rebooted a few times since doing this and no problems.
                      Thanks for pointing this out - works a treat.
                      Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

I just downloaded the iso file for the 16th March and was not successful at getting to the try Kubuntu desktop. I got the login panel and when I used enter it came back again. If I enter a password it tells me that it is wrong, so I think that no password is correct.

I used alt+ctl + F2 and got to the text mode and used the username kubuntu and enter for password. I tried sudo systemctl enable sddm.service -f and all that resulted in was a pulsing Kubuntu logo. There was no sign of access to the USB after several minutes of waiting.

It looks like this problem has resulted in unbootable installation disks. I would like to know if anyone has circumvented this problem?

Comment

Installation iso now works

Just for the heck of it, I decided to download the 21st March iso it it works great. I am so glad that this problem has been fixed. I was wondering when if was done but the last time I tried was the 17th when it did not work.

So you can all go for it if you want to refresh your system as I sometimes need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                            Just for the heck of it, I decided to download the 21st March iso it it works great. I am so glad that this problem has been fixed. I was wondering when if was done but the last time I tried was the 17th when it did not work.

So you can all go for it if you want to refresh your system as I sometimes need to do.
                            I found there was a bug in the installer at formatting the / partition - just gets stuck at 33%
                            I had to make sure / was pre-formatted prior to loading the live session
                            Then just point the installer to / but do not format
                            kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Sounds like every system is different. Because I broke my system installing the NVIDIA driver, I decided it would be faster to reinstalled my system using the 21st March iso.

I did not have any problems with reformatting the / partition. What I always have problems with is that when it advances to Disk Setup it just sits there doing nothing. During this time it is downloading. After a few minutes of waiting I abort the installation and restart it. I then find that it advances to the Disk Setup and it proceeds without any problems.

I certainly hope your system is up and running to your satisfaction.

Comment

Working...
                              X