X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba tools problem

Hello,
    new to Kubuntu but more used to gnome. I am trying to use the Samba tools for its different functions but i cannot get to open and only get this message below (French installation). It seems to miss something. There is also a samba status program which open correctly but nothing is shown about status or shared.
    Btw does Samba still use the smb,conf file ? The reason I ask is that I have a Kubuntu shared folder in my network and normally there should be an entry there I believe.
    Tx

Message = "Il est impossible pour KDEInit de lancer « gksu »:
    Il est impossible d'ouvrir la bibliothèque « /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_gksu ».
    Cannot load library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_gksu: (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_gksu.so: Ne peut ouvrir le fichier d'objet partagé: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type)"
    Last edited by armageddon51; Jun 05, 2015, 08:22 PM. Reason: solved

Translation:
    Message = " You can not KDEInit launch" gksu "
    It is impossible to open the Library "/ usr / lib / x86_64 -linux -gnu / libkdeinit5_gksu ".
    Can not load library / usr / lib / x86_64 -linux -gnu / libkdeinit5_gksu ( /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_gksu.so : Can not open shared object file : No such file or directory type) "
    gksu is the Gnome command line tool for launching an application "as root". gksu isn't used in Kubuntu unless it is installed. Use kdesudo instead.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowdog for the quick reply. Ok, thing is I am using the icon in the start menu and I have no control of what happen after. If you are right, the command has to be redone by whoever made that entry (icon).

Comment

You can install gksu in kubuntu, which will help you with gnome or other non-kde things that require authentication.

This is probably easier than tracking down and editing the menu entry for each thing that needs it.

sent via tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          You can install gksu in kubuntu, which will help you with gnome or other non-kde things that require authentication.

This is probably easier than tracking down and editing the menu entry for each thing that needs it.

sent via tapatalk
          Thanks I tried that. Now the message is gone and a popup windows appear to ask for my password but after that nothing happens. Don't know.

Comment

You are probably missing a gnome bit. Which specific tool are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              You are probably missing a gnome bit. Which specific tool are you using?
              Actually it is a bit confusing. Using the menu, I only find a "samba" icon under -system- (description : samba). If I do a search in the search box, I get another "Samba" item with the description : create, modify, delete samba shares. That's the one I use. May be they are the same thing. None of them produce anything.

Comment

I usually just edit the K start menu when I run into issues like this.

Right click on the K icon and choose "Edit applications". Then navigate to the application that needs attention (System, Samba) and on the right in the "Command: " section replace "gksu" with "kdesudo" so it reads "kdesudo system-config-samba". Then click on the "Save" icon to save the change.
                Last edited by Rod J; Jun 04, 2015, 10:18 PM.
                Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                  I usually just edit the K start menu when I run into issues like this.

Right click on the K icon and choose "Edit applications". Then navigate to the application that needs attention (System, Samba) and on the right in the "Command: " section replace "gksu" with "kdesudo" so it reads "kdesudo system-config-samba". Then click on the "Save" icon to save the change.
                  Right on Rod, that does it too, thanks. Still after giving my password, nothing happen after. I did the command in a terminal and this is what I get (if that can be useful) :

> kdesudo system-config-samba

Traceback (most recent call last):
                  File "/usr/sbin/system-config-samba", line 45, in <module>
                  mainWindow.MainWindow(debug_flag)
                  File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/mainWindow.py", line 121, in __init__
                  self.basic_preferences_win = basicPreferencesWin.BasicPreferencesWin(self, self.xml, self.samba_data
                  , self.samba_backend, self.main_window)
                  File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/basicPreferencesWin.py", line 97, in __init__
                  self.admin = libuser.admin()
                  SystemError: could not open configuration file `/etc/libuser.conf': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type "

Comment

OK, this could be a problem with the latest distro (15.04), I'm still using 14.04 here.

I'm thinking that the file /etc/libuser.conf doesn't exist on your install?

I found this bug report (admittedly old, 2008) but looking at the comments towards the end it has affected later versions too: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/31292

It seems just creating this file in that location may be all that is needed to get system-config-samba working.

If the file definitely doesn't exist maybe try this in a terminal: sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
                    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Eh eh, good catch ! That did it Rod ! The config panel appears. Thanks ! Now i have to find out why my shares folders do not appear in my windows network. The share appear in the config panel fine. Can you point me again in the right direction ? It seems that 5.3 bork samba quite a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the fix

"Right click on the K icon and choose "Edit applications". Then navigate to the application that needs attention (System, Samba) and on the right in the "Command: " section replace "gksu" with "kdesudo" so it reads "kdesudo system-config-samba". Then click on the "Save" icon to save the change."

"sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf"

I'm not a Kubuntu / Linux whiz.... but that fixed me up...

I have a serious question here ... how in hell are these bugs allowed to escape into the wild ?
                        I noticed in another post, not here, that gksu was defunct, (a year I remember 2008).
                        Kubuntu 15.04 has been a real pain to get it up and running, no where as good as 14.04, 14.10.

Enough of my ranting!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X