This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail won't send mail - server support PLAIN

Hi - I have several machines with kmail on them. One has Kubuntu 15.04 on it. On the 15.04 machine, Kmail will not send mail, and gives an error:

Failed to transport message. Your SMTP server does not support PLAIN. Choose a different authentication method. The server responded: "Incorrect authentication data"

If I click the auto detect settings button in Kmail, it comes back with PLAIN as an authentication method. My other machines use PLAIN as an authentication method.

I can't find a log file for kmail, so I can't get any more details. My ISP has confirmed that the settings I have should work.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Don.

Hi Don, are you using the exact same settings on your other working kmail in outgoing settings?

Can you post the full details you're using (ports, hostnames etc) to connect? I'll show you some troubleshooting tricks.

Sam
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

As far as I can tell, they are the same. At the moment, I am not using authentication and am using the port suggested by my ISP. Letting me know how to get kmail to log and where it logs errors would be a great help. At the moment I get a notification box which stops at 'The server responded: '

General
      Outgoing Mail Server: ISP Mail Server

Server requires authentication: Yes
      (have tried with no)
      Login: email address
      Password: *******

Store SMTP Password

Advanced
      At the moment
      Encryption: None
      Port: 26 (from ISP)
      Authentication: Plain
      Send custom host name to server: No (on advice of the ISP)
      Use Custom sender address: No (on advice of the ISP)
      Precommand: None

Result: Failed to transport message. Your SMTP server does not support PLAIN. Choose a different authentication method.

Clicking the Auto Detect Button gives me

Encryption: TLS
      Port: 25

Result: Socket Operation Timed Out

If I use what I believe to be the settings on the ISP's help page

Encryption: SSL
      Port: 465

Result: Failed to transport message. Your SMTP server does not support PLAIN. Choose a different authentication method.

Comment

Well, installed Thunderbird, got it working, went to check Kmail, entered what I originally thought should be there and now it is working. Odd.

I guess I had something wrong and had been looking at is so long I stopped noticing.

At least it is working :-)

Comment

Sorry for a late response (I wasn't ignoring you, just hadn't had time to look), glad it's working now!

Kmail has separate settings for receiving and sending, maybe you had the correct settings in receiving but not in the sending tab?

Anyway, it doesn't matter now unless you want to use Kmail, up to you
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X