X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java Plugin not working in Firefox

Hello All,

I have recently upgraded to 13.10 and hit a couple snags.
    This install is different from my signature: 4GB RAM, Kubuntu 13.10, 32bit
    Firefox v25(?)
    Java 7.45.

I have put the soft link to libnpjp2.so in the correct plugin directories. Firefox sees the java plugin, but every time I try to test it at the java website it crashes the plugin.

Any ideas where I am going astray?
    Thanks,

Craigbert
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Kubuntu 13.04
    8GB RAM & Intel Core i7 1.87GHz
    Registered Linux User 537624

Check to make sure you have the following installed:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre icedtea-7-plugin
    This should get java running in your firefox. Next you need to check to make sure the site you're trying to access is whitelisted in Firefox in order to run java.

According to reports Mozilla Firefox 24 and later blocks all plugins by default (except for Flash.) [See http://news.softpedia.com/news/Firef...h-382518.shtml ] So even with a correctly installed java plugin, you will need to enable them on a site by site basis (or whitelist the sites you wish to use) with java in order for them to function.

If you installed java from the Oracle site, did you check to make sure that you downloaded the correct version of java for your Kubuntu/Firefox install? i.e.: 32 bit versions for 32 bit kubuntu installs and 64 bit versions for 64 bit installs.

cheers,
    bill
    Last edited by bweinel; Nov 14, 2013, 02:19 PM.
    sigpic
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Personally, I installed java by following the instructions on this site http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html, then when I go to verify java, Firefox presents a click to activate popup or you can click on the little blue brick thing in on the left hand side of the address bar, or in the plugins settings for java select your preference: ask to activate, always activate, or never activate.

Comment

Originally posted by craigbert View Post
        Hello All,

I have recently upgraded to 13.10 and hit a couple snags.
        This install is different from my signature: 4GB RAM, Kubuntu 13.10, 32bit
        Firefox v25(?)
        Java 7.45.

I have put the soft link to libnpjp2.so in the correct plugin directories. Firefox sees the java plugin, but every time I try to test it at the java website it crashes the plugin.

Any ideas where I am going astray?
        Java in the browser is as dangerous a security threat as you can imagine. It's a disaster. Any specific reason you want it?

Comment

Working...
        X