This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMware Player installs but won't create a new machine

With advance apologies, I don't know whether this is closely enough related to the discussion here or should be a separate topic. I'm running Precise on a fresh install. I have installed build-essential. I can install VMware Player 5.0.1 well enough, but it will not create a Windows 7 x64 vm. It just freezes up when it's trying to retrieve the files. The x64 disk is new, so I thought there might be something wrong with it. I took a tested Windows 7 x32 disk, and it will not install either. Then I copied an old XP vm, and it runs perfectly, so Player will run a vm; it just won't seem to install one. I'm not sure what to try next. I'm not even sure what logs/printouts will help folks help me, but I follow directions well. Many thanks.

Also
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -a`
    I have installed VMWare Player 5.0.1 on my 64-bit debian system, and it opened my 2 existing Windows VM's correctly. I don't have another 64-bit system available to try installing a new VM on, but I see no apparent signs of problems. I take it your Kubuntu 12.04 system is a 64-bit system?

Comment

If you cannot get vmware to work you could try virtualbox. Afraid I don't use vmware so cannot help with it. But I thought that the vmware player (at least the free version) could only be used to run vms, not create them? Though I could be wrong about that.

Comment

It did, at least, used to be that way. There's a site that will build/create a VMWare Player that should do the trick. A google search turned up this one: http://www.easyvmx.com/
        GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
          It did, at least, used to be that way. There's a site that will build/create a VMWare Player that should do the trick. A google search turned up this one: http://www.easyvmx.com/
          I recommend virtualbox which will let you create as many vms as you want without the need of an external site

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
            It just freezes up when it's trying to retrieve the files.
            Would you explain this a bit more, please?

Comment

This threads kind of old, but I've been dealing with the same issue in 5.0.1.
              4.0.5 runs just fine. Seems as though vmware in their tightening things up made it where the 5 series has issues with bios and procs that don't specificaly support vm. I found that one out on siductions forum after the 3rd or 4th reload.

inxi -v3

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...r-supports-vt/

Comment

VMware Player 5.0 processor requirements:

Supported Processors

The host system must have a 64-bit x86 CPU that meets the following requirements.
                * LAHF/SAHF support in long mode
                * 1.3GHz or faster core speed

Multiprocessor systems are supported.

When you install Player, the installer performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install Player if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.

Processor Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems

The operating system that runs inside a virtual machine is called the guest operating system. To run 64-bit guest operating systems, the host system must have one of the following processors.
                * An AMD CPU that has segment-limit support in long mode
                * An Intel CPU that has VT-x support

If you have an Intel CPU that has VT-x support, you must verify that VT-x support is enabled in the host system BIOS. The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. See the VMware knowledge base article at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 for information about how to determine if VT-x support is enabled.

When you install a 64-bit operating system, Player performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install a 64-bit operating system if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.
                VMware Player 4.0 processor requirements:

Supported Processors

The host system must have a 64-bit x86 CPU that meets the following requirements.
                * LAHF/SAHF support in long mode
                * 1.3GHz or faster core speed

Multiprocessor systems are supported.

When you install Player, the installer performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install Player if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.

Processor Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems

The operating system that runs inside a virtual machine is called the guest operating system. To run 64-bit guest operating systems, the host system must have one of the following processors.
                * An AMD CPU that has segment-limit support in long mode
                * An Intel CPU that has VT-x support

If you have an Intel CPU that has VT-x support, you must verify that VT-x support is enabled in the host system BIOS. The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. See the VMware knowledge base article at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 for information about how to determine if VT-x support is enabled.

When you install a 64-bit operating system, Player performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install a 64-bit operating system if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.
                No change.

We might be able to help if we had more details about the host system's hardware configuration, the guest VM configuration, and what "freezes up when it's trying to retrieve the files" means.

Comment

Somedays you have to wonder what is going to work. So the long story short is..... I downloaded VMware-Player-5.0.1-894247.x86_64.bundle, opened a termminal and cd'd to my Downloads folder and ran sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`. Then sudo sh VMware-Player-5.0.1-894247.x86_64.bundle. The install started and then borked.

So I got PO'd, flashed the bios because inix -v3 show there is no vmx flag on processor and bios doesn't have a vm option. Bios Still doen't have that option, which is no big surprise. Then I did a fresh install. Instead of using the above method to install vmware player. I used the 64 bit method from the following link:

http://www.itworld.com/software/3192...u-1210-or-1204

It works now but only as x86 single core which I can live with since I only need to use Windows for my taxes and reports for work.

I did an install of Win 7 Enterprise with Office 3013 Professional and all worked, but I couldn't stand Office 2013. I deleted that machine and installed XP Pro with Office 2007 Pro Plus which will do. All seems to be fine
                  Last edited by cavedweller; Jan 10, 2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    VMware Player 5.0 processor requirements:

VMware Player 4.0 processor requirements:

No change.

We might be able to help if we had more details about the host system's hardware configuration, the guest VM configuration, and what "freezes up when it's trying to retrieve the files" means.
                    The system in a stock acer aspire 5733z 4851. This should give you a good idea of the hardware. The guest system was Win 7 with Office 2013, but with Office 2007 the problem was the same.

Code:
                    bc@bc-linux:~$ inxi -v3
                    Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
                    System:    Host: bc-linux Kernel: 3.5.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
                               Desktop: KDE 4.9.97 (Qt 4.8.3) Distro: Ubuntu quantal (12.10)
                    Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: Aspire 5733Z version: V1.10 Bios: Acer version: V1.10 date: 08/13/2012
                    CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium CPU P6200 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 8513.86 
                               Clock Speeds: 1: 933.00 MHz 2: 933.00 MHz
                    Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
                               X.org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 80x39 
                    Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 ver: 3.123 bus-ID: 01:00.0
                               IF: eth0 state: down mac: dc:0e:a1:0c:cb:97
                               Card-2: Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
                               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 74:de:2b:ae:47:4c
                    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.1% used) 1: model: Hitachi_HTS54755 
                    Info:      Processes: 141 Uptime: 7:26 Memory: 835.5/3629.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 
                               Client: Shell (bash 4.2.37) inxi: 1.8.27
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 11, 2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cavedweller View Post
                      The system in a stock acer aspire 5733z 4851. This should give you a good idea of the hardware.
                      Flashing an updated BIOS won't bring you new capabilities that the CPU itself can't support. Your hardware has a Pentium P6200 processor, which does not include VT-x support. You can't run a 64-bit guest operating system in VMware Player on that hardware. 32-bit guest operating systems, however, will work fine.

Instead of using the above method to install vmware player. I used the 64 bit method from the following link
                      I'm a bit mystified as to why the first attempt didn't work, but using the method in that blog post did. The first downloads an uncompressed ".bundle", while the second downloads a compressed "bundle.tar" that requires untaring first. Otherwise, the steps are equivalent. Weird!

I couldn't stand Office 2013
                      Yeah, visually it's quite painful. Whoever decided to remove distinctions between control surfaces and the background needs to be re-educated.

Comment

Your guess is as good as mine as to why one install worked and one didn't. I finally ended up doing another fress install and putting a 150GB partition on it for Win 7. I'm liking not taking my work laptop out of the Jotto desk all the time. I put all my work stuff on a flash drive so my personal laptop is the portable.

I figure out that the P6200 wouldn't do any better than 32 bit. I did know that flashing the bios wasn't going to do a thing for the issue I was having. Just kind of figure since it was 4 veraions down it might clean up some other small issues.

If LibreOffice could get their rendering of MS Office Docs and Spead Sheets down a little better with a compatible color platelette I wouldn't need Windows for work any more.
                        Last edited by cavedweller; Jan 14, 2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X