Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for some hacker to get access to my modem and HUB?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible for some hacker to get access to my modem and HUB?

Last night I didn't turn off my modem because I thought my sister needed the internet connection late at night. Today I talked to her and asked her if she was actually using it. I learned she didn't... Even so the PC Activity light was flashing just like it does while I'm connected to the internet... I disconnected and reconnected the power cable and the same thing happened once again. So I wonder what could have happened if no one at home was actually downloading or uploading anything at all... Any clues?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
    Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win / & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Is it possible for some hacker to get access to my modem and HUB?

I can't answer with certainty, but I have similar experiences. The router lights are flashing despite lack of activity on my part. I have a lot of browser windows open so I've traced it to some pages which keep doing something. All I have found is (to my mind) incompetent web design. Large commercial sites are especially prone to doing things like refreshing the page. Look at the address bar on the bottom and you will see it going like crazy on some sites.

Comment

Another reason could be your distro is looking updates / upgrades. Mine looks every morning.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

If you have a wireless modem or router, it is possible someone else is accessing your system. Make sure your wireless security settings are configured properly and change the passphrase.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          If you have a wireless modem or router, it is possible someone else is accessing your system. Make sure your wireless security settings are configured properly and change the passphrase.
          +1 The default security settings for home wireless routers are entirely inadequate.

Like others have said, it is possible that some service on one of the connected machines was crawling the Internet for whatever reason. If a Windows machine is on your network then you can expect high activity from it at semi-regular intervals.

By the way, a network hub is just a wire bundle and little more. There is nothing there to hack, unless an intruder has physical access to the hub. A switch has some intelligence, but there still isn't much to gain from hacking one, and I don't know whether that is even possible without physical access. Routers are very hackable though, so make sure yours is secured.
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
            By the way, a network hub is just a wire bundle and little more. There is nothing there to hack, unless an intruder has physical access to the hub. A switch has some intelligence, but there still isn't much to gain from hacking one, and I don't know whether that is even possible without physical access. Routers are very hackable though, so make sure yours is secured.
            Good points. In fact, I have a feeling (I could be wrong) that he actually did not mean to say hub. To clarify for the OP, routers typically come with a built in switch so you can plug more than one computer into them. Regardless of the configuration, it is the router that is of concern.

It is indeed extremely important to configure your router and not leave the defaults. Although I am not the most security concious person, it does make me nervous when I see the router lights blinking and I don't know why.

Comment

if roughter light's blinking are of consern you can usualey login to you'r roughter and look to see how meney computers are conected............if some one is using your wireless it will show.......usualey

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                if roughter light's blinking are of consern you can usualey login to you'r roughter and look to see how meney computers are conected
                That's actually a good idea, although I think maybe that list only accounts for DHCP clients.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

OK, then I shouldn't fear that much since it's just a cable modem, a hub and a couple of ethernet cables that never get out of my home. Even so I should tell you that my PC was turned off and she never used hers since it wasn't even on...
                  Win / & 10 sadly

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                    OK, then I shouldn't fear that much since it's just a cable modem, a hub and a couple of ethernet cables that never get out of my home. Even so I should tell you that my PC was turned off and she never used hers since it wasn't even on...
                    So you don't have a router? Do you have a firewall set up on each computer then?

Because of my vintage computer interests I am actually curious about the hub. They haven't made those in a long time. I have a couple of collectors pieces but haven't tried using them, though I suppose that the packet collisions are not really a problem on a home system. What made you chose to use one of those?

Comment

Well, I didn't need anything else, my network needs are quite simple indeed.
                      Win / & 10 sadly

Comment

I doubt that anyone was trying to hack into your computer, unless you are running Windows.

Browse out to grc.com and run ShieldsUp! Select ALL of the ports (1056) and let it scan your system. You should get a checkerboard that is all green. If you do it means that your are invisible on the web. You are stealth. Your box is not responding in any way to probes to your ports. If you see blue squares those ports are responding, telling folks you are there, but not handshaking. If you see red ports those are WIDE OPEN. For both blue and red ports you need to adjust your firewall (or set one up) so that those ports are stealth.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                          Well, I didn't need anything else, my network needs are quite simple indeed.
                          Well, I didn't mean to pry. I just thought that since this was an IT forum we could discuss computer hardware too. As a collector of vintage computing devices I found it interesting and naturally wondered how you came to get something like that and what was going on there. The other questions were directly related to your original query, but of course you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                            Originally posted by vinnywright
                            if roughter light's blinking are of consern you can usualey login to you'r roughter and look to see how meney computers are conected
                            That's actually a good idea, although I think maybe that list only accounts for DHCP clients.
                            In my Linksys WRT54GL the router's routing table lists ALL connections to the router.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                              In my Linksys WRT54GL the router's routing table lists ALL connections to the router.
                              Interesting. I've got the same router but it only shows DHCP clients. In fact I can't even find the routing table. I'm using the default firmware v4.30.7. Did you change yours?

Comment

Working...
                              X