X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Driver does not install - SOLVED

Hi All,

I installed the Maverick (Alpha 2 - Desktop - AMD64 version) on a spare partition to watch the development. It loaded well but threw up a video error on startup.

I installed the "xorg.conf.failsafe" file and then used "startx" to get going. All went well. Looks clean in 2D graphics mode.

Then tried to install the ATI proprietary 3D driver using the system Hardware Drivers utility. All appeared to go OK until the end when it chucked up an error: "Sorry Jockey. SystemError: InstallArchives() failed."

Didn't know what to do next. Any ideas? Or is it just a case of being impatient and needing to wait a while for these refinements?

Re: ATI Driver does not install

Could you try running "sudo apt-get intall -f " in the konsole, and paste the resulting output? It may give some additional hints for seeing what's wrong.

Comment

Thanks. Here's the result. Any clues?

philip@Kubuntu-10:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
      [sudo] password for philip:
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      2 not fully installed or removed.
      After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
      Setting up fglrx (2:8.723.1-0ubuntu4) ...
      update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
      Removing old fglrx-8.723.1 DKMS files...

------------------------------
      Deleting module version: 8.723.1
      completely from the DKMS tree.
      ------------------------------
      Done.
      Loading new fglrx-8.723.1 DKMS files...
      First Installation: checking all kernels...
      Building only for 2.6.35-6-generic
      Building for architecture x86_64
      Building initial module for 2.6.35-6-generic

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.35-6-generic (x86_64)
      Consult the make.log in the build directory
      /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.723.1/build/ for more information.
      dpkg: error processing fglrx (--configure):
      subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of fglrx-amdcccle:
      fglrx-amdcccle depends on fglrx; however:
      Package fglrx is not configured yet.
      dpkg: error processing fglrx-amdcccle (--configure):
      dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
      No apport report written because the error message indicates it's a follow-up error from a previous failure.
      Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
      update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-6-generic
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      fglrx
      fglrx-amdcccle
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
      philip@Kubuntu-10:~$

Comment

As the error says
        Code:
        Consult the make.log in the build directory /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.723.1/build/ for more information
        It is likely that you do not have all the required headers etc installed in order to build the ATI driver

Comment

This is typical, the binary driver never works with the latest X version, most likely you,ll need to use the open source driver (I use that, regardless, it is rock solid)

Comment

FWIW, I tried to install the ATI radeon drivers on Maverick about a month ago with results similar to PhilT's. I removed all the fglrx related files and installed the opensource Radeon driver.

I vaguely recall something similar early on with earlier prerelease of (K)ubuntu. And it was lmilano said the ATI drivers needed to catch up with the Xorg version.

tim

Comment

That's right, Timek, let me just point a typo cain your post to avoid confusion: the ATI binary driver is called catalyst, or fglrx. The Open Source driver is called radeon or ati sometimes.

Now, PhilT: the open source ati driver (not the fail safe, but the real driver, radeon), has 3D acceleration these days. To activate radeon, this is your best shot:

1. Choose the failsafe driver xorg.conf and reboot
              2. Try to use the hardware-drivers program to uninstall fglrx
              3. reboot

If that doesn't work, repeat 1, and then:

2. Search with the package manager anything with fglrx in the name, remove all these packages
              3. remove the xorg.conf (or rename it)
              4. reboot

Hopefully that will do!

Comment

One more thing, http://www.phoronix.com is the best place to keep track of the latest developments in graphics drivers ...

Comment

Re: ATI Driver does not install - SOLVED

Thank a bunch! And "Thanks" for the explanation regarding names; I didn't realise that the ATI binary was fglrx and the open source was radeon. I had tried to modify the xorg.conf and got the system working with the vesa driver but had problems with the residual fglrx modules.

Anyway, the fglrx "purge" and deleting the old xorg.conf file and rebooting worked fine. I now have a good working Maverick system to test with. Glxgears gives about 11,000 frames but Desktop Effect still will not work. Is this normal for the Radeon driver?

Comment

Regardless of the ATI binary driver's proper name, referring to it as "fglrx" is certainly more helpful in installing those drivers via one's preferred package manager than calling it "Catalyst", especially when you're up to your eyeballs in xorg.conf and X exits with mysterious errors.

Now to be nit-picky: I didn't refer to the driver as "fglrx" but spoke of purging all fglrx-related files which is a useful way of referring to that driver & its related files. Given that many users here have varying levels of linux knowledge, nominal accuracy is sometimes better sacrificed for descriptive accuracy.

Yes, I suppose that I have gotten sloppy: "fglrx" seems a more useful, even if not strictly accurate, name for ATI's binary driver.

Comment

Desktop effects should work, except if you have the newest chipset (evergreen). What card are you using? (Of course this is beta, anything can happen)

Cheers!

Comment

My card is: 512MB RADEON HD 3650 PCI Express + DVI

Comment

That card should work fine, including desktop effects and 3D games at moderate resolutions with the open source driver.

Your chipset is R600
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600

This is working brilliantly in 2D, and hardware accelerated though still not as fast as the binary catalyst/fglrx driver

The current status is in here for the OS driver:
                          http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

BTW, I will buy a 3650 one of these days to replace the 3450 I currently have ...

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for those links. Interesting reading.

Still no luck with Desktop Effects - the option is all greyed out in System Settings.

I'll maybe do a new install in a day or so and see if a clean system will work. But thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilT
                              Thanks for those links. Interesting reading.

Still no luck with Desktop Effects - the option is all greyed out in System Settings.

I'll maybe do a new install in a day or so and see if a clean system will work. But thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.
                              A suggestion to maybe save you a little time. You could instead add a new user. Then fiddle with those settings. Chances are config files & settings are askew. Besides, if you're keeping your home directory intact, a simple re-install may not have any effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X