X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED!! cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen-air

Hi
    Upgraded to 4.4 and now cannot log in...get the above error message
    Tried running dpkg to fix and it did run through and install stuff but the above error is still there
    Is there any way I can replace the above file
    Cheers
    Raaj
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Viva Kubuntu!!
    Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
    KDE 4.7.1

Re: cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen-air (after 4.4)

no shure wat to tell ya yet but I just notesed that oxegen-air is what kde4.4 has defalted to and just replased the 1280x800.jpg (old oxegen-air ) with 1920x1200.png (new background image)

hear it is loading ok

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Re: cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen-air (after 4.4)

I've tried apt-get install kubuntu desktop and kdm but both there already
      I've tried apt-get install oxygen-air-theme but it can't find such a package
      Is there anyway I can download and install a new version via terminal?
      Thanks
      Raaj
      Viva Kubuntu!!
      Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
      2Gb RAM
      Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
      KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Just go to sytem configuration, advanced, connection manager and select 'ethais' , apply , ok ... you can now logoff logon correctly ...

Comment

Thamks Phillips
          Unfortunately I cannot get past the splash screen and can only login to a command line
          I need to apply a fix via the command line
          Cheers
          Raaj
          Viva Kubuntu!!
          Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
          2Gb RAM
          Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
          KDE 4.7.1

Comment

I had the same problem and found a simple solution...
            Just PURGE 'kdm' package from console ('kubuntu-dektop' is automatically removed) and reinstall 'kubuntu-dektop' again... Reboot or start kdm and everything works! At least for me!

Comment

It's because the KDM theme has changed from oxygen-air to ethais in 4.4 and you chose to keep the original kdmrc file during the upgrade process.

You can purge and reinstall the kdm package as EddPsycho details, or just edit the file /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and replace the line

Code:
              Theme=/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen-air
              with

Code:
              Theme=/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/ethais
              Then reboot and Bob's your uncle.

Comment

Thanks mate
                I'll give it a go
                Quick question though...I normally use Kate as my editor so what can I use to edit this file from command line?
                Never done this before
                Cheers
                Raaj
                Viva Kubuntu!!
                Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                2Gb RAM
                Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                KDE 4.7.1

Comment

You can open a console (or Alt-F2) and type:
                  Code:
                  kdesudo /usr/bin/kate
                  You'll be promoted for your pwd and Kate will open 'as root' and you can then open/edit/save root owned files.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks
                    Used Nano command to edit file and now I caan see the login screen
                    But before I have typed in my password the screen goes black and the monitor switch starts flashing??
                    Think I have corrupted something else??
                    Cheers
                    Raaj
                    Viva Kubuntu!!
                    Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                    2Gb RAM
                    Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                    KDE 4.7.1

Comment

SOLVED!! cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen-air

Hey works fine now!
                      Thanks for all your help
                      You guys are ACE!!
                      See another wee problem though which I will raise in a new post after checking the forum
                      Cheers
                      Raaj
                      Viva Kubuntu!!
                      Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                      2Gb RAM
                      Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                      KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Re: SOLVED!! cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen-air

I had this problem as well - my solution was to look in the directory "/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen-air" wherein the problem was something had renamed the xml file as a backup - ".xml~"

I simply renamed it back to it's original name and... Bob's your Uncle... I love British slang!

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: SOLVED!! cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen-air

I know this is an ancient thread and I don't normally resurrect such, but since I had the exact same problem I figured I'd post my solution here in case it helps anyone.

Originally posted by Higgins
                          It's because the KDM theme has changed from oxygen-air to ethais in 4.4 and you chose to keep the original kdmrc file during the upgrade process.
                          Right, that's exactly what I did. Last night I started the version upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 on my [now old] laptop; I'd just gotten a new laptop, got it up and running, then decided to tackle the old one. I chose to keep my customized kdmrc file.
                          You can purge and reinstall the kdm package as EddPsycho details, or just edit the file /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and replace the line

Code:
                          with

Code:
                          In my case, it was the exact opposite. The kdmrc file was *NOT* my original file; it contained my modifications, such as allowing root logins, but it was not the actual same file. Mine contained this line:

Code:
                          I had, and still have, NO IDEA why I got the "Cannot open theme file /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/ethais" error at startup; from a command prompt I verified that the directory existed and was universally readable, and even writable, so that wasn't the problem.

What I did was change the above line to:

Code:
                          rebooted and...Bob's my uncle!
                          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Easy>>>forget everything you have read before !!!

Originally posted by webheadjunky View Post
                            I've tried apt-get install kubuntu desktop and kdm but both there already
                            I've tried apt-get install oxygen-air-theme but it can't find such a package
                            Is there anyway I can download and install a new version via terminal?
                            Thanks
                            Raaj

i have tried all these replies and nothing worked for me.i was very close to reinstallation,but....
                            i typed in the terminal :
                            sudo apt-get install gnome

there was some time installing and then there was a window asking whitch desktop manager i want to set as a default
                            i didn't chose neither gnome or kde... i chose lightkdm, installation continued untill it was done

sudo reboot and when the lightkmd showes up chosed kubuntu-desktop session and....MAGIC !!! everything workes juuuust fine now...

i feel so good finding this on my own

i hope it will help somebody else !!!

bob's not my uncle !
                            Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 29, 2012, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X