X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Cannot connect via XDMCP

Hello,

I used ubuntu since hoary, and recently replaced my kubuntu 6.10 (edgy I think) with intrepid. It work quite well, except for one problem. I need to enable XDMCP access because I have 2 computers at home: this one with kubuntu and another one (an old Pentium II with a simple debian install). I had previously activated the connection by XDMCP in the kubuntu PC, and connected from the debian kdm login, via remote loggin, to connect to it.

The problem is that since I installed intrepid I cannot connect. I get a chooser showing the kubuntu computer, but when I connect to it I just have a black screen with a cross-like mouse pointer.

I have changed the corresponding lines in /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and in /etc/kde4/kdm/Xaccess. I thought I could be a firewall restriction but it seems that configuring ufw makes no change.

Could someone help me, please? probably is quite easy to solve, but could not find any solution.

Re: Cannot connect via XDMCP

As you have prior experience with this, when you edited /etc/kde4/kdm/Xaccess did you uncomment:
    #* #any host can get a login window
    and does /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc read:
    [Xdmcp]
    Enable=true
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your help. Sure, that is what I did.

Also, if I try:
      Code:
      X -query 192.168.2.1
      does not work.

Regards,

Comment

This is quite old, but it may help you towards figuring out what to do:
        Linux XDMCP HOWTO

Comment

Thanks a lot, I already knew that link. Is one of the places I studied some years ago when I first started with XDMCP. I'll give it a look.

I really need to solve this, because my wife (who connects by XDMCP) want to go back to kubuntu 6.10....

I hope someone could know more information about this.

Thanks again.

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: Cannot connect via XDMCP

Finally !!!

It was easy, quite easy... I write here the way I followed to discover the problem:

in /var/log/syslog I've just seen these lines: (note that 192.168.2.1 is kubuntu XDMCP server and 192.168.2.2 is debian XDMCP client)

kdm[7568]: Cannot convert Internet address 192.168.2.2 to host name
            kdm[7568]: Display 192.168.2.2:0 cannot be opened

so I edited /etc/hosts and added:
            #bucanera is the host name of the client
            bucanera 192.168.2.2

and without a real knowledge of the next step I also edited /etc/hosts.allow and added:
            ALL:bucanera

and then restart.... and it worked. I post here the solution for someone else.

Thanks again.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot connect via XDMCP

Great! As to the entry you added to the /etc/hosts file. I'm pretty sure the syntax is:

IP hostname
              You should have noticed that you had at least two other entries already in this file. As to making the change to the /etc/hosts.allow file. I'm not !00% sure you needed to do that. I'd comment it out, restart and see if things still work as expected.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot connect via XDMCP

Originally posted by Snowhog
                As to the entry you added to the /etc/hosts file. I'm pretty sure the syntax is:

IP hostname
                You are right, I have a mistake in the previous post.
                Regarding the line in /etc/hosts.allow. I will try later.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X