• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] 14.04 vs 16.04

What are the important differences between 14.04 1nd 16.04
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

A LOT of differences. From various places around the web (you didn't think my memory was good enough to hold all this did you? )
    14.04's LTS is April 2019, and 16 .04's LTS is April 2021.
    14.04 uses the 3.x kernel and 16.04 uses the 4.4 kernel
    16.04 defaults to OpenSSH 7.2p2, which disables the SSH version 1 protocol, and disallows the use of DSA (ssh-dss) keys.
    apt has replaced apt-get and apt-cache
    16.04 includes access to a new kind of package called a snap
    16.04 includes a native kernel module for ZFS, an advanced filesystem
    16.04's PHP packages now default to v7.0
    16.04 comes by default with Python 3.5.1 installed as the python3 binary
    14.04 came with plasma4 and 16.04 has plasma5

The MOST important difference, IMO, is the more complete use of systemd in 16.04. It replaced Upstart. Before systemd the #1 PID was sysvinit. Systemd is the #1 PID in 16.04.
    Systemd was/is controversial. It is morphing into a one-stop control center for all aspects of Linux operation. It's not there yet, but it will be in the future. I HATED systemd when I first encountered it, but as I researched it and began to use it I switched my perspective and really like it now.

The only major distros which do not default to systemd, that I am aware of, are Gentoo and Slackware, but neither of those are noob friendly and aren't distros I'd recommend to someone just coming from Windows or without extensive computer knowledge.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 21, 2017, 12:29 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      A LOT of differences. From various places around the web (you didn't think my memory was good enough to hold all this did you? )
      14.04's LTS is April 2019, and 16 .04's LTS is April 2021.
      14.04 uses the 3.x kernel and 16.04 uses the 4.4 kernel
      16.04 defaults to OpenSSH 7.2p2, which disables the SSH version 1 protocol, and disallows the use of DSA (ssh-dss) keys.
      apt has replaced apt-get and apt-cache
      16.04 includes access to a new kind of package called a snap
      16.04 includes a native kernel module for ZFS, an advanced filesystem
      16.04's PHP packages now default to v7.0
      16.04 comes by default with Python 3.5.1 installed as the python3 binary
      14.04 came with plasma4 and 16.04 has plasma5

The MOST important difference, IMO, is the more complete use of systemd in 16.04. It replaced Upstart. Before systemd the #1 PID was sysvinit. Systemd is the #1 PID in 16.04.
      Systemd was/is controversial. It is morphing into a one-stop control center for all aspects of Linux operation. It's not there yet, but it will be in the future. I HATED systemd when I first encountered it, but as I researched it and began to use it I switched my perspective and really like it now.

The only major distros which do not default to systemd, that I am aware of, are Gentoo and Slackware, but neither of those are noob friendly and aren't distros I'd recommend to someone just coming from Windows or without extensive computer knowledge.
      Thank you for this very thorough effort.

Much appreciated.

Best wishes.
      kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Working...
      X