This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ibus input methods

I'm trying to set-up input methods for Japanese language input.

I've done this on many systems and there is a typical list of things to install that I'm familiar with which I tried, and it failed to work (will elaborate).

Then I searched the Kubuntu forum, found the Japanese Language: How to thread, and followed it, and it failed to work.

ibus-setup fails with:
    Code:
    ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for Gtk
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/ibus/setup/main.py", line 29, in <module>
        from gi.repository import Gtk
    ImportError: cannot import name Gtk
    I found this bug thread on the Debian list, but I'm not sure if its relavent or not.
    bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=700076

Any advice?
    Last edited by orionthehunter; Oct 28, 2013, 08:49 AM.

Have you tried this: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...japanese+input

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      Yes. That is the How-to thread I mentioned in my original post. Clicking on the link under the Menu->Applications->System->Keyboard Input Methods fails because of the same error.

I also installed Scim, I haven't made it work yet either, though I doubt that's a related issue...
      Last edited by orionthehunter; Oct 28, 2013, 07:00 AM. Reason: more information

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you using?

Comment

13.10, and I just ran updates.

Comment

I made that guide for 13.04...Im running through it on 13.10 now. Seems ibus has changed a little..

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              I made that guide for 13.04...Im running through it on 13.10 now. Seems ibus has changed a little..
              Do let me know how it goes... this is a bit of a game-breaker for me as I live in Japan and interact with Japanese speakers as much as English speakers.

Comment

We are not alone. Whoever maintains ibus decided to make drastic changes that basically render the program useless. Awesome. Im looking for a work around. No Japanese language input is a deal breaker for me.

Comment

Got past the initial GTK errors. You need to install the package gir1.2-gtk-3.0 Its in the repos. From there you can open ibus-setup from the terminal and configure everything. Still cant get it working though.... Getting closer....

Comment

Kind of got it. After a couple reboots, a bunch of messing around and dealing with a mind boggling slow ibus interface, I got it to work in all programs except web browsers. I think once you get the package I listed in the post above this one, its just a matter of settings.

Comment

日本語が書けました。ありがとうございました!

Comment

Working...
                      X