This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphical man page viewer

If it doesn't already exist, create the file .bash_aliases in your home folder. Add the following line to the file:
    Code:
    kman () { khelpcenter "man:$@" 2>/dev/null ;}
    Source the file into your environment so you can use the new command without logging out and back in:
    Code:
    source ~/.bash_aliases
    The procedure calls khelpcenter and opens the man page viewer to the argument you supply; for example:
    Code:
    kman tune2fs
    The 2>/dev/null bit just prevents the usual "qdbus misbehavior" warnings that we often see. It keeps your console window neat.

Now, when you're buried in a console window and want to check a man page, you can type kman manpage-name to open the page in a GUI window rather than opening a second console window. Furthermore, you can click the hyperlinks to navigate throughout the man page collection. Enjoy!

Nice. Thanks.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Very nice, thanks for the info man! :cool:

Nice and easy to navigate unlike the console window.

b.r

Jonas
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

AskUbuntu - graphical user interface to view man page?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/25370...-view-man-page
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

sweet ,,,,works nice

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
            AskUbuntu - graphical user interface to view man page?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/25370...-view-man-page
            Thanks, Rog! I figured I wasn't the first to stumble on this idea.

Comment

This is great! I always hate opening another console window and having to switch back and forth.

Comment

I had seen KHelpCenter but never associated it with man pages. Being an old and long time user of Linux I've found it more bothersome to learn new tricks than to continue to use the old ones. That's odd, considering I love the graphical desktop, KDE.

Steve, your kman alias trick was neat! Gman seems OK, but when I investigrated KHelpCenter's menu more deeply I discovered the exact same menu structure that xman presents:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	unix_man_pgs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	642521
                and from those options the graphical presentation continues. Using ALT+F2 avoids the Konsole altogether.
                Add one new trick to this old dog's repertoire.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Never saw this post until now Cool! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    . Using ALT+F2 avoids the Konsole altogether.
                    Add one new trick to this old dog's repertoire.
                    How are we to use krunner with this trick? I tried "kman tune2fs" but nothing happens, maybe I need to logout and back in to get it to work with Alt-F2.

Great tip all the same, thanks SteveRiley.

Comment

KRunner specifically won't run shell aliases. It would have to implement a full-on shell of its own to do that.

Comment

KRunner &amp; man pages

https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Krunner:
                        Incidentally, if the command line is your thing, you may appreciate the built in integration to man pages. Simply type a command name preceded by a # to open the man page formatted for easy readability in your browser...

or with the 'man:' http://askubuntu.com/questions/25370...-view-man-page

There is an option to write a plugin to launch the KDE help center with the man page: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...unner&p=360816

Last edited by Rog132; Oct 21, 2014, 08:43 AM.
                        A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                        Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Neat, Rog, thanks.

Using #: didn't work here:

Apparently #: seems anchored to ~ because I can successfully open anything in my home directory (and below) using #: as a starting point.

But using man: did.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post

There is an option to write a plugin to launch the KDE help center with the man page: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...unner&p=360816
                            I like this option, what fun. Thanks Rog132.

Comment

Working...
                            X