• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with KDE [Kwin] after installing GNOME

Hi everybody,

given that I want to use GNOME on Kubuntu, and obviously I use KDE too:

1 - I've downloaded and installed Kubuntu 13.04 64bit beta 2;
    2 - installed the NVIDIA drivers 173, rebooted and found that KDE works fine;
    3 - for personal comfort I've installed "Ubuntu Software Center";
    4 - through USC I've installed the GNOME package by selecting the package "Full GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components";

After reboot GNOME, GNOME FALLBACK and GNOME FALLBACK (no effects) everything works regularly, instead accessing KDE Plasma DESKTOP not display more bars on the windows as you can see in screenshot:

I tried to put the command kwin --replace in automatic startup of the system and when I select KDE everything works but if I select any GNOME does not work for this command set to boot (you only see the mouse cursor and background is all black).

I think it's a problem connected with KWIN and NVIDIA 173 drivers that after GNOME installation create this problem... I suppose it's a driver manager problem.

But I don't know how to solve.

Comment

The 173 drivers are by Linux standards really old, unless there's a good reason not to I'd move to the latest, 313.

Comment

I need 173 drivers because my graphic card it's older, it's the NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.

Where I can get a list of compatible driver for my graphic card in linux?

Comment

I would suggest reinstalling Kubuntu. Trying to remove the entire GNOME desktop is an exercise in advanced package management surgery.

Then, after a fresh install, you can use the Additional Drivers tool to install the current version of the nVidia binary blob.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            I would suggest reinstalling Kubuntu. Trying to remove the entire GNOME desktop is an exercise in advanced package management surgery.

Then, after a fresh install, you can use the Additional Drivers tool to install the current version of the nVidia binary blob.
            Why have I to remove GNOME? The problem is KDE and KWIN after GNOME installation so I search and ask for problem in KWIN and graphic driver because I see that KDE works but without windows bars and desktop effects.
            I don't want to remove GNOME. I want to use KDE and GNOME in the same Ubuntu installation.

Comment

Oh. It wasn't clear from your initial post that you actually wanted the full GNOME desktop.

As I've never personally run a PC with such a configuration, I can't offer suggestions about what the problem might be. In your screenshot, the windows appear to be missing their decorations. Have you checked in System Settings | Workspace Appearance to ensure that everything is set correctly? Also, what happens if you disable all desktop effects?

Comment

I have ran sutch a setup at one time ,,,,,,,10.04 I think and let me say that all kinds of strange things can happen from the different config file's conflicting with each other .

the best it ever got was to set the system to use gdm before rebooting and logging into a gnome desktop or kdm before rebooting to log into a kde desktop , and still their were quirks.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X