X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu won't start after tried to upgrade it to 12.10

hi guys,

I tried today to upgrade kubuntu to a more recent version, but just after the packages were downloaded, the program froze and i decided (after waiting a while) to brutally re-start my computer.

So now i'm stuck to a blue Kubuntu screen, telling me that the "disk reader of / isn't ready or isn't here".
    (English isn't my first language, so i translated that the best i could, but the rest of the manual commands were written on my screen in english.)

Then i had the choice to ignore the mount, by typing "S" or going to the manual commands with "M".
    Since S wasnt working, i went for the manual commands, wich gave me this message:

Root filesystem check failed.
    A maintenance shell will now be started.
    CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and reboot system.
    Ctrl-D indeed reboots the system, only to bring me to the same point again, just before the syseme reboots, here's what i can read on the screen:

umount: /proc/sys/fs/bimft_misc: not mounted
    umount: /dev: device is busy.
    (in some case useful info about processes that use the device is found by Isof(8) or fuser(1))

Is there anything I could do to start kubuntu, without having to reinstall it, or, at least, without loosing the files I saved on the computer?

Thanks

Originally posted by leo che View Post
    hi guys,

I tried today to upgrade kubuntu to a more recent version, but just after the packages were downloaded, the program froze and i decided (after waiting a while) to brutally re-start my computer.

So now i'm stuck to a blue Kubuntu screen, telling me that the "disk reader of / isn't ready or isn't here".
    (English isn't my first language, so i translated that the best i could, but the rest of the manual commands were written on my screen in english.)

Then i had the choice to ignore the mount, by typing "S" or going to the manual commands with "M".
    Since S wasnt working, i went for the manual commands, wich gave me this message:

Ctrl-D indeed reboots the system, only to bring me to the same point again, just before the syseme reboots, here's what i can read on the screen:

Is there anything I could do to start kubuntu, without having to reinstall it, or, at least, without loosing the files I saved on the computer?

Thanks
    Is /home on its own partition?

Comment

i'm not sure what a partition is...
      I only have Kubuntu on this computer, and only one partition, so i guess /home is on it, and that it is its own partition.

sorry, i'm super noob at this, but thanks for answering!

Comment

Finally, i just saved my files on an external hard drive from a live-usb and re-installed kubuntu in its newer version.
        now i can acces the kubuntu deskop, it's super slow and buggy, but i guess it'll an other subject, and this thread can be [solved]?

Comment

I had similar problem after upgrade from Kubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 on VMware.
          I run:
          Code:
          # dmesg
          And I see:
          [...]
          [ 7.183586] VMware vmxnet3 virtual NIC driver - version 1.1.29.0-k-NAPI
          [ 7.194333] VMware PVSCSI driver - version 1.0.2.0-k
          [ 7.330630] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
          [ 8.141450] init: hwclock main process (211) terminated with status 2
          [ 8.313269] init: mountall main process (222) terminated with status 2
          [ 33.230428] init: mountall-shell main process (237) terminated with status 1
          [ 33.268118] init: hwclock main process (252) terminated with status 2
          [ 33.311315] init: mountall main process (258) terminated with status 2
          So I run:
          Code:
          # mountall
          After it Kubuntu started with graphical enviroment
          Now I run console and run:
          Code:
          $ sudo apt-get update
          $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          After it many packages going to configure.
          After apt-get dist-upgrade done I restart Kubuntu. Now Kubuntu works very well. Problem solved!

Comment

Working...
          X