X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Open Software Sources With Muon

Greetings,

I am unable to open Software Sources, period. Not via Muon or via Konsole.

I've managed on my own to find the source of the problem: :eek: I added the Linux Mint PPA in order to install the Mint Backup program. Well, I got it installed successfully, but I've created some problems for myself and Kubuntu 12.04:

Code:
    DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=13
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=maya
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 13 Maya"
    What is the correct way to fix this problem? I've read that I shouldn't manually modify the /etc/lsb-release file. Thanks!

Edit: I decided to manually edit the /etc/lsb-release file just to get things working until I receive a response on how to fix it correctly. However, on reboot I lose the settings and it defaults back to Linux Mint.

Code:
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04"
    Last edited by MinteeBoon2; Feb 15, 2013, 07:34 AM.

Why not just run Mint KDE? Is the backup software a deal breaker or can we interest you in a few alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
      Why not just run Mint KDE? Is the backup software a deal breaker or can we interest you in a few alternatives?
      I chose Kubuntu 12.04 because of the Alternate Installer option, allowing me to install with encryption. I don't care too much about other software from Linux Mint. But that backup program seems to be the most handy since it backs up both folders and installed applications (I didn't see any alternatives in Muon offering the same features). I didn't realize I'd run into problems like this though. I worked so hard trying to get Mint Backup installed and working, and now I'm working hard to fix the mess I made!

Comment

Yay! I fixed the problem!

Alright, so what I did originally was to add the Main Linux Mint Maya Repository, and then install Mint Backup. Mint Backup didn't work right, however. It would attempt to start but would give up and quit before opening. The solution I found was to install the mint-meta-core package. This enabled Mint Backup to work for me.

However, the mint-meta-core package installed a package called MintSystem. This MintSystem package added a problematic script: /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/mint-adjust.py. This script causes the contents of /etc/lsb-release to change from:

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
        DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
        DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
        DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04"

To:

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
        DISTRIB_RELEASE=13
        DISTRIB_CODENAME=maya
        DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 13 Maya"

Every time I boot. So what I decided to try is renaming this MintSystem Python script to the following: mint-adjust.py.old. Now I no longer seem to have problems. (I suppose the script can be deleted also)

I have to thank Greg at the following link for finding the culprit for me, or I wouldn't have been able to fix this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/11296...nstalling-mate
        Last edited by MinteeBoon2; Feb 15, 2013, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Glad you came right!

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            Glad you came right!
            LOL, like 8 - 10 hours wasted trying to install Mint Backup, and then fix all the problems related to installing it. I'm glad it came right, but damn!

Comment

I just wanted to post a follow up regarding the Mint Backup program. It was a hassle to install and get working, but I succeeded after some hard work. However, I have to say that it wasn't worth all of the effort. Mint Backup runs very slowly. I also sometimes have Permissions problems trying to delete the backups. It's definitely in need of a re-write as it probably hasn't changed since early 2010 when it was released with Linux Mint 9. (I'm not 100% sure when it was last updated)

I've found a much better program called "Back In Time" which has a KDE front-end. It doesn't back up the list of installed programs, but that can be done in Muon Package Manager anyway. It is however a whole heck of a lot faster. In fact, I'd say it's 3x-4x faster than Mint Backup.

Comment

Working...
              X