X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Add New Printer" Drivers unavailable for Brother HL2270DW in system

Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.9.4

I want to add Brother HL2270DW to my system. I have a notebook Computer that currently prints documents on my internal network, however it is a Vista installation. Brother doesn't support Kubuntu.

Both my laptop and my DesktopPC are connected to the Internet.

When I enter System Settings>Hardware>Printers, Brother HL2270DW is recognized when I add printer, nevertheless when I look for the appropriate driver to install, drivers skip from HL2170W to HL2400CeN.

I went to the Brother site and installed the packages necessary to install prior to install drivers for my HL2270DW printer.
    # setenforece 0 (is required, but I do not know how to obtain or enter)
    "sudo aa-complain cupsd" (is required but 'aa-complain': command not found

I am stopped at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't know where you found those commands, but Brother does support linux and Ubuntu:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...ion_prn1a.html

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      I don't know where you found those commands, but Brother does support linux and Ubuntu:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...ion_prn1a.html
      Those commands came from the site you refer. There were a list of things to do before being able to install the drivers for my particular setup. Those item mentioned would not add to my system and were stated as necessary to install the driver. Perhaps I am not smart enough to follow their instructions, however, not able to get those commands entered, I continued to the installation of driver procedure and was then stopped. It is a very complicated installation for me.

Do you have that particular printer? Are you operating a current Kubuntu distribution and have a 64 bit system.

When first I attempted installing the printer using the System Settings GUI in Kubuntu 12.10, my printer was both recognized then added to my computer. Nonetheless, when it came time to select drivers for my printer, my model was skipped over in the driver list. And there were a great number of drivers offered by our distribution.

I was able to get my laptop printer drivers installed, because I still have Windows Vista on the laptop, but it wasn't easy either, and Brother support does not provide support for Linux over the telephone. The online support may be too difficult for me, but that is why I am asking help here.

I will go back, using your link and see if I missed something, but I suspect I will have to return for help. I have been working this problem for 3 days; I am retired and am working on all the configuration problems for the new installation of the Kubuntu 12.10 OS, 24/7 with brief periods for eating and sleeping. I may not be intellectually able, but I am not lazy either. Without your help and the help of others, I would probably look at a blank screen most of the time. You are much appreciated.

Comment

I don't have that printer, but I didn't see anything in the instructions about SELinux ( setenforece 0 ) nor AppArmor (aa-complain ).

Here's what I see.

Install dependencies:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Download
        and install hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb and cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.deb:

dpkg -i --force-all hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb
        dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.deb

Verify they installed:

dpkg -l | grep Brother

(They left this one out) Restart CUPS:

sudo service cups restart

Open a browser and set up the printer:

localhost:631
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 07, 2013, 06:34 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Dear oshunluvr,

I completed as per your reply. I clicked on Add Printer. It said,"A username and password are beint requested by http://localhost:631. The site says: "CUPS"

For Name: Do I enter the name I established when I installed my router, STEVEN-WIFI with the password for that name? If I do, the same box returns with the same request. Is there a tutorial for filling in the information, or will you help me?

I installed this printer in my laptop with Windows Vista. I have a printout of everything that was done to get connected. The terminology and forms to complete the installation are different between Vista and Kubuntu.

Your above instruction was wonderful. Everything happened properly, I believe. Is there command that would confirm that the driver is installed properly?

Comment

Your admin user name and password should work. The dpkg -l |grep Brother should list the two drivers if they installed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Do you mean my login name and sudo password from the computer, or the Administration name and password for my Router? That is what confused me when I was filling out the form. When I get to the section where it says to add printer, my model is missing from the list. It goes from HL-2170W to Brother HL-2400CeN. This is the same problem I had with System Settings Printer Setup. There is an 'or' though. "Or Provide a PPD File": and a box to enter its address. and a Browse... Button, but I don't have a PPD file. So what do I do?

Comment

steven@Yeshuah:~$dpkg -l |grep Brother
                ii cupswrapperhl2270dw 2.0.4-2
                i386 Brother HL-2270DW CUPS wrapper driver
                ii hl2270dwlpr 2.1.0-1
                i386 Brother HL-2270DW LPR driver
                ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.3-4ubuntu1
                amd64 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

Comment

Here's my notes from installing my Brother printer on Kubuntu recently. I'll add the following first:

There are two drivers to install, the cups driver and the lpr driver. Forget about using the terminal. Just click them and the QApt package installer will open. The LPR driver is installed first.

"Do you mean my login name and sudo password from the computer, or the Administration name and password for my Router?"

You need to follow your printer's instructions for connecting the printer to the router. The routers Admin Name & Pass have nothing to do with the Brother installation on the computer.

BROTHER PRINTER DRIVER INSTALLATION

-Do not connect the printer via USB cable.
                  -Do not use "http://localhost:631/printers" to configure the printer. (It never works like the instructions say it should)
                  -Open "Printer Configuration" inside System Settings. (DO NOT delete the printer that you see!)
                  -Click on MFC-J615W under Local Printers. (or HL2270DW)
                  -Change the “Device URI” to: lpd://192.168.1.xx/binary_p1 (You need to find out what your printer's IP is)
                  -Put a useless piece of paper into the Printer, and then click “Print Test Page.” (Be patient, it takes 30 seconds or so for it to print, for some reason)

Hopefully that helps. It's late and I'm not taking in all that I am reading.

Comment

There wasn't any printer named in the Printer Configuration part of System Settings. I selected to Add a Printer and Brother HL-2270DW was available. I selected the Brother printer, but there was no reference to any Device URI. It was apparent that I was to enter the Address: and Queue:, but I do not know what the address is, unless it means 192.168.0.103, which is the IP of my wireless printer which I successfully connected to my laptop. I imagine that the IP for my Desktop PC will be the same.

My signal is received using a Motorola Modem>Dlink (wireless router)>laptop/DesktopPC.

I confirmed my drivers are installed, a package relating to lazer printers, and the LPR driver. When I opened Printers in System Settings, it says Service is unavailable, Transport endpoint is not connected. You specified no USB, should I connect the router to the printer using an ethernet cable?

Since the router connects to the DesktopPC, I am hopeful that both my laptop and my PC will connect wirelessly. Is that what will happen? Or will I have to have an ethernet cable attached to my PC for it to work? The reason I purchased a wireless printer was to avoid the cable attachment. Thanks for the help; sorry for my lack of experience and understanding.

Comment

I do not have the same model printer, but I do have a Brother HL 2170w wireless network printer. So assuming you have solved the driver issue, this is how I set mine up. I have set up both of my wireless network printers several times on different machines and they work great. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 is a piece of cake using the hplip-gui program. For the Brother, you do need to connect it to your computer with USB or Ethernet first. Then you can access the Brother interface to enter your settings for the wireless. In the wireless settings, select to use a fixed IP instead of DHCP. This is important, because it will simplify the installation and your printer will always have the same IP making it less likely to cause problems if the IP should change. You also need to enter the SSID and password for your wireless network. Once you have done that and saved the settings you should remove the USB or Ethernet cable and restart the printer. It should now connect to our wireless network with the IP you provided. A quick check of your router info in the router interface page will verify that it is connected. Now you can go to the cups interface and install the printer. When you get to the part where you enter the URL of the printer, put in ipp://IP of the printer, for example mine looks like this ipp://192.168.0.99. Continue with the rest of the settings and the printer should be installed on your computer. Print a test page to verify.

BTW, the default username for the Brother setup page is admin, the password is access.
                      Last edited by Detonate; Feb 14, 2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

His printer driver isn't appearing in Printer Configuration, he says. I'm pretty sure after I installed the LPR & Cups drivers that my printer showed in Printer Config. All I had to do was change the Device URI. Hmm... I'm no Linux expert, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                        X