X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Composition error.

Hello,
    I have been attempting to figure out a strange problem I have been having on my laptop. I just switched from Ubuntu to kubuntu as I did not care for unity and am having a strange error that I don't even know where to start looking to fix the problem.

I am using an Aleinware M17x r4. I have installed bumblebee to enable optima so that I may use the intel gpu instead of the dedicated nvidia card as it is not very power efficient.
    I have tried all the scale methods possible.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Try setting Qt graphics system: to Native and uncheck Use VSync.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Unfortunately that did not fix the issue.

Comment

In the All Effects tab, if Blur is checked, uncheck it.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sadly again, no dice. Still has the weird effect. It is doing it in not just there but pretty much everywhere at random. Sometimes it is there sometimes it isn't. Is there a way I could find a driver log or something to help you guys?
          Another example of the strange behavior.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	640160
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Anonymau5; Nov 03, 2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

So you run standard on the Intel driver?
            I have an Thinkpad W520 with dual video cards and select between them at startup by entering the BIOS, sorry UEFI and set one or the other there.
            Intel when 'on the road' and nVidia when connected to an external monitor and mains power.

Comment

I run everything on the Intel driver and only run the nvidia card when I enter "optirun application_name" in terminal or a bash file.

If it helps at all:
              lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
              00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
              Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0551]
              Kernel driver in use: i915
              --
              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:11a0] (rev ff)
              07:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1083] (rev c0)
              Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:057b]
              Last edited by Anonymau5; Nov 04, 2012, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Have you tried to use XRender in stead of OpenGL?
                You mentioned trying all the scale methods, did that include playing with the refresh frequency?
                Because the error looks like the stuff once seen on a badly set up CRT screen...

Comment

I have tried xrender and it does seem to fix the problem. However I cannot change back to openGL now as it is having an error and reverting back to xrender.

Update it did not fix all of the issues.
                  Last edited by Anonymau5; Nov 04, 2012, 04:45 PM. Reason: Did not fix.

Comment

The problem is due to this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1061073

I went back to 12.04 to get the Mesa 8.0.4 libraries, and then used the Kubuntu PPA to get KDE 4.9.2 so that I could run *almost * what's in 12.10. It looks like the KDE guys fixed the bug; I think at this point all we're waiting for for the Kubuntu guys to apply the patch and give us a KWin update.

Comment

Working...
                    X