X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linus Torvalds is trying out KDE again after a long period with Gnome

From his Google+ page:

Link to the post on Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/10215069...ts/DbmEE8kXLDA

Heh, the ability to configure things is exactly why I switched to KDE too!

I skeptical that this was actually posted by Linus.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is Linus. If you look through his post history there's a lot of abstruse stuff about kernel hacking. There are other kernel devs on Google+ as well, such as Greg Kroah-Hartman

Comment

Well
        I'll be the guy to indicate that the emperor has no....... spelling ability....

I mean there ARE things such as spell checkers...

I mean .....absense?

And also..... the comments about the appearance of things....

If I..... were a gentleman I would not diss another man's distro.... And I do consider myself a gentleman so I do NOT diss another man's distro...

But I guess that when one is an elite....one can diss away and people just take it....

dunno....just a thought of an old hardware and application guy.

woodnotanelitesmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          I mean .....absense?
          Heh...in his defense, though, that's a fairly common misspelling [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonl...s#A.E2.80.93B] even among native English speakers (which linus is not), and most people don't spell check their quick social media posts as thoroughly as they would a scientific paper.

If you de-linusify (yup, that won't get past a spell checker either) the post, it seems to me he likes KDE again. That being said, I doubt there are many people around that would mistake Linus for a gentleman in this regard...He is very outspoken, to put it nicely :P

EDIT: btw, I seem to recall he switched to xfce when gnome3 (I see a tendency here) came about, so the title might be a tad inaccurate.
          Last edited by kubicle; Nov 02, 2012, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
            EDIT: btw, I seem to recall he switched to xfce when gnome3 (I see a tendency here) came about, so the title might be a tad inaccurate.
            Though that doesn't mean that he isn't checking out other DE's and WM's while he's at it, since he is the ultimate Linux guy, ifyou know what I mean.
            The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              I skeptical that this was actually posted by Linus.
              It is him, well at least his G+ account is a verified one.

Comment

welll again in the seeming absense of spelling ability........ a more courteous way to have posted MIGHT have been...

"Hey, KDE is really developing well, I, personally am not that enthusiastic about the icons etc. but, that is just a matter of taste. So congratulations on producing a distro that a lot of people like!".

But no, just as with other people with big egos that purposely insult other people because they know that they can GET AWAY WITH IT... people just give them a pass.

Do the names of Gates and the Woz spring to mind?

If either of them had said even the smallest thing in the manner that Torvalds did the Linux fora would be aflame with indignation.

But, no, in an environment where MANY people are rude and dismissive of others to begin with....Torvalds is just sitting on the top of the heap.

I didn't like lack of basic courtesy back and Xandros and I don't like it now.

Just my thoughts and since I don't "code" my opinion is of little worth.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Annoyed by KDE? Boy I can't stand Unity, and gnome classic ok but it is boring. I am still nuts about Kubuntu, I started with Mint 10 with KDE.
                  Rob

Comment

I don't know, this was a good take, to me. Linus basically is blunt, he says what he thinks. Why does he have to be polite? He usually is not so blunt when he posts things outside of kernel development mailing lists.

Probably a bad analogy, but does GM's head of design have to be Mr Nice Guy? That job falls to Chevrolet, Buick, or Cadillac, the dealer's sales staff and service staff.

As to the above G+ post, that was to me pretty straightforward and the points he made are legitimate without being negative or flame baiting. The whole post is describing exactly why I love KDE , especially the whimsicality

Comment

And I'm not really sure one even can "insult" a DE, he said nothing about KDE devs or users...not that he's above that sort of thing, but I really don't see any insults there.

Voicing opinions about a DE basically, and like I said, seems to me he liked it.

Comment

Personally, I didn't see anything insulting in the text. IMO he was stating how he saw things. I for one could never understand how anyone could be happy using gnome. It is the least satisfactory DE I've ever tried. Clearly, if Linus likes gnome he's not much of a judge of DEs anyway.

I actually thought he was trying to be funny. No one uses a term like "Drunken Fratboy" unless they're trying to be humorous.

Please Read Me

Comment

"because that's how I roll", seriously? Since when did Linus get all 'street'? That fake bologna was written by a drunk frat-boy, lol. Although, I do agree with a lot that was said in the fake post. Here is another theory, anybody with any bit of Internet/software savvy knows how sleazy Google has become, would he (Linus) really have a Google+ account in the first place? Sorry, I am not buying it.

Edit: It sounds like his style but I think it's just a good impersonation.
                          Last edited by tek_heretik; Nov 02, 2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                            "because that's how I roll", seriously? Since when did Linus get all 'street'? That fake bologna was written by a drunk frat-boy, lol. Although, I do agree with a lot that was said in the fake post. Here is another theory, anybody with any bit of Internet/software savvy knows how sleazy Google has become, would he (Linus) really have a Google+ account in the first place? Sorry, I am not buying it.

Edit: It sounds like his style but I think it's just a good impersonation.
                            Then the impersonator does fairly convincing interviews as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaj6RLfIZIE

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                              Then the impersonator does fairly convincing interviews as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaj6RLfIZIE
                              Pah ha ha, good one, that just means some geniuses aren't smart, lmao.

Comment

Working...
                              X