This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 10 Must Have Apps/Widgets

I thought this might be useful for myself and other people new to kubuntu. I realize that this can be a subjective question depending on what you need from your linux box. I just wanted to see if you guys would be interested in posting your top 10 most have apps, widgets, etc.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

After a stock install, I do not have much extra to install. so we'll see if I can get to 10
    In no particular order:
    Chromium browser and/or Chrome - though my affair with those may be slowly waning
    Yawp weather widget - cuz it scrolls through a list of cities at intervals if desired
    Quick access widget - I have one or two that are pointed at specific directories, depending on what I am doing
    Gimp - the only real choice for image mainipulation
    Yakuake - drop down terminal window
    Libreoffice (I use 12.10) because I have to create and save docs in MS Office formats
    dropbox
    Skype - cuz I need to see my lady using the easiest most reliable method, and that is Skype for us currently
    hplip-gui -only because it makes configuring my wireless officejet printer super simple.

Ok, thats about it. I do install other stuff, but only when I use them the first time.

Comment

Purged
      * AppArmor
      * UFW
      * Avahi and MDNS
      * The myriad foreign language fonts and switchers and accessibility stuff
      * Update notifiers
      * Jockey

Installed
      * Xorg-Edgers
      * lm-sensors and thinkfan
      * Yakuake
      * Basket notes
      * DejaVu-extra font (then all other fonts are disabled)
      * The full set of LibAV tools and the "-extra" libraries
      * VLC
      * MuseScore
      * Parts of kdeadmin, kdegraphics, and kdeutils that aren't included in Kubuntu
      * Kipi-plugins and Kamoso
      * Dropbox (eventually will be replaced with OwnCloud once they fix their client)
      * VMware Player
      * Calligra

Comment

As my lucky number is 13, I offer 13 additional important apps
        Gimp
        Inkscape
        Scribus
        KompoZer
        LibreOffice
        Firefox and Thunderbird
        Minitube
        Kaffeine
        digikam
        Hugin (Panorama software)
        Krusader
        GoogleEarth
        KMyMoney
        Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
        I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Purged
          * The myriad foreign language fonts and switchers and accessibility stuff
          * Update notifiers

Installed
          * DejaVu-extra font (then all other fonts are disabled)
          * The full set of LibAV tools and the "-extra" libraries
          * Parts of kdeadmin, kdegraphics, and kdeutils that aren't included in Kubuntu
          * Dropbox (eventually will be replaced with OwnCloud once they fix their client)
          * Calligra
          Hey Steve, few question if you don't mind. How can I purge the foreign language fonts and such? How come you disable the update notifiers? How come you use DejaVu-extra and disable the rest? Is LibAV just a cli tools? What parts of kdeadmin, kdegraphics and kdeutils are not included? Why the switch from dropbox? How do you like Calligra so far? I see it is slated to possibly be included in future Kubuntu releases replacing LibreOffice.

Originally posted by Arran View Post
          As my lucky number is 13, I offer 13 additional important apps
          Inkscape
          KompoZer
          Firefox and Thunderbird
          Krusader
          I have some questions for you as well if you don't mind. I am curious how come you use inkscape and gimp? As a hacker(I don't feel like I am a developer, but I do program to an extent, but hacker has a negative sterotype so I can't win ) KompoZer looks interesting but I admit I tend to stick to basic apps like Kate or Notepad++(in Windows) for my programming manipulation so we will see. What makes you prefer Krusader to Dolphin? Why Thunderbird rather then Kmail?
          CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
          Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
          Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
          Graphics Card: MSI R7770
          Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
          Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
          PSU: Corsair 520HX
          Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
          Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
          Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Console:
            vim
            zsh
            htop
            tmux
            git
            rsync
            build-essentials
            ssh
            cmake
            powertop

GUI:
            Chromium
            Kaffeine
            Minecraft
            Qt Creator
            Kdevelop
            Digikam
            Icon-only task manager
            Wine
            Gimp
            Callibre

Somehow I find most of the console applications more important then the gui ones :S

Comment

I have many of the same, but I'm suprised no one uses firestarter. Why?

capt-zero

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
                I have many of the same, but I'm suprised no one uses firestarter. Why?
                All my machines are protected by a firewall that sits just behind my cable modem, so there's no need to run host-based firewalls. That said, if you want to run one, UFW is the Ubuntu-supplied firewall. Kubuntu 10.10 shipped with a KCM to manage UFW via a GUI. Even though this KCM is no longer included in Kubuntu, the developer has kept it updated and you can find it on KDE-Apps.org. I'd imagine this fits in better with Kubuntu than Firestarter, which is more for Gtk-based systems.

Comment

I hate to keep comming back everytime I download a tar.gz file, but Steve, I downloaded UFW, extracted it, opened a terminal there, followed the instructions in the read me file:
                  1. mkdir build
                  2. cd build
                  3. cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
                  4. make
                  5. sudo make install

Had to install cmake, but when running number 3 got this error:

CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found. Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
                  CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:98 (MESSAGE):
                  ERROR: cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake not found in
                  /home/capt-zero/.kde/share/apps;/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/apps;/usr/share/kde4/apps
                  Call Stack (most recent call first):
                  CMakeLists.txt:19 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Thanks,
                  capt-zero

Comment

Why are you 'building' the ufw application when it is already available for installation from the official repositories? It can be installed from the console with:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install ufw
                    or search for it in the Package Manager and install from there.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

capt-zero, you need at least build-essential and kdelibs5-dev
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        Why are you 'building' the ufw application when it is already available for installation from the official repositories? It can be installed from the console with:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install ufw
                        or search for it in the Package Manager and install from there.
                        He probably means the kde config module for ufw...to compile that one needs at least "build-essential" and "kdelibs5-dev" packages (and their dependencies) installed.

EDIT: too slow

Comment

I was just following the link in steve's post. Didn't realize it was in the repositories or that I needed so many dependencies. I'll just apt-get remove what I've got and try it from the repositories. Sorry to get everybody so off thread content.

capt-zero

Comment

Tried that, now I get the error: not enough args. Arguments?

capt-zero

Comment

Tried that, now I get the error: not enough args. Arguments?
                              capt-zero
                              What exactly did you do? (post the command you were trying to run)

I was just following the link in steve's post. Didn't realize it was in the repositories or that I needed so many dependencies. I'll just apt-get remove what I've got and try it from the repositories. Sorry to get everybody so off thread content.
                              Err..."ufw" the backend is in the repos (it should also be installed by default)...the GUI configuration module for system settings (that Steve linked to) isn't, if you want that you have to compile (or search for a ppa with it)

Comment

Working...
                              X