This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black screen after latest update

Last night I ran an update check showed 240 packages needed updating so i started it and went to bed this morning when I got up and performed the required reboot.
    the computer boots normally straight to log in , I log in and it goes to a black screen with a mouse pointer, ctrl alt f2 does take me to command line, it I hit power off if flips to the kubuntu log off and shuts down. I am a newbie as far as linux goes I have started learning a little bit but not much, this computer was bought new a year ago latest intel sandy bridge processor with on board graphics, gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 motherboard on a whim installed kubuntu and it has worked fine except for a bug in the power settings but thats another issue. So I hereby throw myself on the mercy of the forum help me get my pc back, thanks

this bug seems to have hit a lot of pepole in the last copell of days ....not me yet and I am fully updated?
    get to a command line and log in .....then try sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop and sudo apt-get install xinit one user sead they got it back by installing startx and thats in xinit

then do a sudo reboot and see what happens.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I got my computer back, reinstalled kde and rebooted and am back in, since I am on here let me ask another question, I have read that there is some kind of issue with power settings, I set my monitors to never go off but they go to stand by after about 2 minutes any clue

Comment

Originally posted by JohnArgent View Post
        THANK YOU SO MUCH, I got my computer back, reinstalled kde and rebooted and am back in, since I am on here let me ask another question, I have read that there is some kind of issue with power settings, I set my monitors to never go off but they go to stand by after about 2 minutes any clue
        you are welcome

just what exactly did you reinstall/install ?
        kubuntu-desktop or xinit or both ......answering exactly will help others

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

I reinstalled kubuntu-desktop, I figured do one at a time to know what fixed it sorry I should have said that

Comment

Originally posted by JohnArgent View Post
            I reinstalled kubuntu-desktop, I figured do one at a time to know what fixed it sorry I should have said that
            Cool now open a new thread for your next issue and mark this one solved (that way it's easier for people to find solutions per problem)
            O and do a search for the problem first ....I think it has been discussed before ...but if you dont find anything relavent feal free to open a new thread

O and welcome to KFN

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
            X