Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu has a good and familiar look (for those of us coming from Windows), a good base in Ubuntu, and the ease in which to add software and repositories. I also find it cool that both KDE and (K)Ubuntu have 6-month release cycles, meaning a new version of Kubuntu means a new KDE (though a couple months off).
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I did a project in a pure agile shop where all the computers had to have the same install, and everyone had to use the same login. If I tweaked settings there were complaints; however I noticed that KDE was there and no-one was using it... and I was hooked. Another experience made me really like debian based distros, so kubuntu was an easy choice. The early days of KDE 4 had me straying, but Unity and Gnome 3 repel me now. I'm hooked on KFN now, too, though it can be a bit USA-centric.

Regards, John Little
      Last edited by jlittle; Jul 30, 2012, 10:40 PM.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        though it can be a bit USA-centric.
        So hop on over to the Social/Casual Talk forum and tell us if you think that replacing Helen Clark with John Key means that New Zealand runs the risk of becoming more like the Western Island

Comment

I am stuck on KubuntuBrand and Kubuntu is stuck on me! lol

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I'd stay with Kubuntu because of the forum, it is alive and we do not have any troll around. it is well supervised and moderators are very well educated. Usually there are very knowledgeble people on other forums with other distros, but they are impossible to speak with. I'd love kubuntu and the forum.
            You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
            Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
            Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

I have used Kubuntu from its start. I am a KDE user and have been since Mandrake days. I have tried just about every distribution that has KDE (and many that don not). I have had no reason to switch.

What I want in a KDE distribution is large repositories, access to the newest kernel and applications, and a large and open community. Kubuntu has always had that. There are distributions that offer much of that (Fedora and Mint KDE for example), but none is totally committed to KDE at the same time. Mint cannot settle on what DE it wants and tries to be all things (and mostly fails, IMO). Fedora is primarily a GNOME distribution with a straight up KDE desktop option. Kubuntu on the other hand is KDE done their way.

I have grown with Kubuntu. It feels just right for me. To leave it would require a major change in direction for Kubuntu. I have been unhappy with Canonical for several years now, so was glad when ties were cut officially (although I was sad for Jonathan Riddell who has given so much). I think that things can only get better.

Comment

I used to use Mint with Gnome 2 and I loved it, but when I decided to switch to KDE I needed to have some confidence that KDE version will be released which was kind of "a question issue" with Mint. With Kubuntu I have KDE release along with other DE versions on the same release day and easy upgrade options. That's a big plus for me.

The second thing is forum, great atmosphere. And here special thank you to OneLine, who always provides very comprehensive references, which kind of makes me ashamed that I haven't spend enough time doing search myself. I really appreciate his help and his patient and thoughtful approach.

Comment

OneLine is a genuine resource of inestimable value on KFN. His posts are 'to the point' and extremely useful.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm not really sure how accurate this is technically but everything feels fairly vanilla, up to date, and stable. That and an easy to use gui to install and upgrade, as well as the focus on KDE native apps (except for the sensible inclusion of libreoffice) is what keeps me here. I'd imagine the release cycle is hell on the developers but the rapid updates is exactly what I'm looking for. (short of a rolling release, which is more unstable)

I didn't even switch to using KDE until I realized through playing with it that I could get the same unity desktop that I love with a superior ui toolkit, better performance, and some of the highest quality apps in the linux ecosystem.

Comment

Working...
                    X