• Show
Clear All

Why have you stuck with Kubuntu?

Rather than

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=106426
    or AptSid
    or Fedora KDE
    or Mageia

I personally stay with kubuntu because: community, GetDeb, PPA's & the fact that AMD released catylist almost in-sync with *buntu; but since the new catylist isn't supporting my 4890, I think I'll try that LMDE spin
    Registered Linux User 545823

Staying with Kubuntu:

(1) I prefer the KDE look
    (2) The friendly community

(aptosid impressed me, tried it, liked it, and would choose it as a certain-sure-capable live USB flash drive for live/emergency/rescue work; however, I found its community open but on the chilly side; while their idea to maintain their Manual is absolutely extremely excellent.
    And ya know, Puppy ain't half bad either, esp for live USB flash rescue and such.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I Just like Kubuntu .......but I do try others on my testing partition , currently it has Ubuntu-12.04 with unity disabled and the classic Gnome interface in use ....why because my 6 year old grandson likes to pant fire on the screen with compiz and it works well their.
      found mint a bit buggy, didn’t like Fedora (dont remember why) I just like KDE and Kubuntu seams to give the best KDE I have tried ,and once I find one that I like I stick with it so I know the particular quirks better as they all have some........O and the LARGE package repo

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I use it because I like Ubuntu, but but want customization options. Ive tried a lot of other DEs but none is easier to use and more customizable than KDE. Ive been meaning to try out other KDE distros for a while, but because Kubuntu meets my needs perfectly so far, I have no real need to.

Comment

It works.
          I like it.
          It works.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I might give antiX a spin sometime I really like the implementation of iceWM-Rox desktop. Just be for fun and getting in touch with my inner geek.

Comment

"Stuck with" implies adversity and I have had extremely little overall since 2005 (!?!)

Comment

I wouldn't say I've stuck with Kubuntu, rather I've chosen to stay with Kubuntu for a number of reasons. For me, it just works, getting the latest software is easy, the fact it uses .deb package management, and of course because of KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  "Stuck with" implies adversity and I have had extremely little overall since 2005 (!?!)
                  +1 here. Other than an nvidia bug (the old black-screen on boot after install) a few versions ago, it's been a joy to use. And the community rocks. I'll have expanded thoughts on that last part soon. It's people like you, and many countless others here, that make Kubuntu a joy to use.
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

The people matter more than the bits.

Comment

I use Kubuntu because it's Ubuntu, but with the awesomeness of KDE. So the familiar technology, coupled with the superior DE means I have never been happier with Linux on my desktop. Mint offers nothing over my own approach to using and tailoring Kubuntu, Fedora is too much like hard work, and I find Mageia a little scruffy and dated, though it will no doubt get better. Another bonus with Kubuntu is the warm community here who always try to help.

But mainly, Kubuntu is staggeringly awesome, does everything I want with style and ease, and it's probably the happiest I've been with a distro in quite some time.More people need to discover it imho.
                      PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Originally posted by K-Project View Post
                        staggeringly awesome
                        I will reuse this

Comment

I came back to Kubuntu because

· it is the only distro I can get KDE without a lot of rubbish from Gnome, Cinnamon, Unity etc.
                          · it is the only distro which offers me a quick easy installation of Satellite-TV with Kaffeine. Just the firmware into /lib/firmware/ and everything is running smoothly, even the scrambled Swiss Channels (with the CAD-Card, of course).
                          · I too like the community, here as well as in the German Forum.
                          · I like the PPA's, so one can have a sort of private Rolling-Upgrade-System with selected applications (mainly Gimp)
                          Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
                          I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

familiarity. I have no desire to learn a new system, Ubuntu is easy. Installing software is easy.

Comment

I have stayed with KDE for every Linux distribution I have tried: Suse > Mepis > Kubuntu. Over 5 years ago, at my Son's insistence, I installed ubuntu on his Laptop but I was frustrated with its lack of flexibility to change from the default settings. I could never get the sound to work properly. In desperation I installed Kubuntu and it worked without a problem. Because he is on the other side of the World, and he has changed computers he now only uses Windows.

My negative experiences with ubuntu are often confirmed when I visit sites like the Linux Skype Support Network where the majority of problems are reported by those using ubuntu.

I continue to use Kubuntu because:

(1) I can configure it to my liking with the utmost of ease. If I encounter a problem, the KFN is a friendly and very helpful resource.

(2) Kubuntu keeps up with the latest releases which are often needed to work in a M$ World. Also the source of ppa's is great when new applications are released. In addition, many deb files install without a problem for those applications that have not been ported to kubuntu.

(3) I have updated my documented procedures that I have developed from the regular 6 month updates. This makes the installation of a new system very straight forward. This makes the thought of changing to an rpm based distribution a potential nightmare.

(4) I would not say that it is perfect as, at times, it can be very frustrating and I know how to crash my Desktop at the blink of an eye. This is my own undoing as I try the latest packages, eg Kernel 3.5, which are not ready for "production release".

All the above adds to my pleasure and enjoyment when I am on my computer .

Comment

Working...
                              X