Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blank screen with cursor after login since applying the latest updates.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank screen with cursor after login since applying the latest updates.

I am running 12.04 64 bit on an AMD system. It has been running fine until I did some updates today. Now it comes up to the login screen, but after I login, all I get is a black screen with the cursor on it. I can move the cursor around but that is all. I can get to a terminal (Cntrl-Alt-F1) and I tried doing an apt-get update and upgrade again and then reboot again but no change. How can I find out what's broken? And how to fix it?
    Thanks,
    Steve

I have the same problem. I installed updates last night and shut down. Now when I enter my login password all I get is a black screen with a mouse cursor.

Comment

From the Gentoo forum:
      This was a nasty one,

Akonadi crashed every now and then. So in an effort to make it quiet, I configured KDE to disable akonadictl to start. In the haste I also disabled Plasma Desktop Workspace.

System settings → System Administration → Startup and Shutdown → Autostart
      (right panel) Desktop File → /usr/bin/akonadictl start disabe
      Plasma Desktop Workspace plasma desktop disable

All of this is done in the KDE Systems Settings. But since I never got KDE up after the next reboot I could not reach System Settings from the KDE menu to resore the settings.

Luckily Nepomuk crashed as I had my black KDE screen up. It started a window where I could click an URL. Suddenlty I had Konqueror up. And in Konqeror there is a drop down menu Settings with a choice Show Terminal Emulator. I enabled it and suddenly I had a terminal while KDE was running but not showing its Application Launch Menu (or anything besides my windows that had popped up).

Then I typed krunner at the terminal prompt and got KDE's application launcher up. Typing systemsettings in the KDE application launcher and hitting return gave me the KDE System Settings Window. Now I could enable aconadictl and Plamsa Desktop Workspace again. At the next reboot I had KDE back again.
      You can also use ALT+F2 and run
      plasma-desktop

or, if that doesn't work,
      sudo dpkg --configure -a

or, you can hold down the shift key during the boot process to display the grub menu, and take the second option to repair your system.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 28, 2012, 03:06 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have now tried both plasma-desktop and the sudo dpkg --configure -a recommendations and neither did anything and my system is still broken.
        Thanks,
        Steve

Comment

what GPU do you have ?
          if you got a new kernel and you were running a driver from a website and don’t have dkms you may half to reinstall your driver !!

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I also am running Kubuntu 12.04 /AMD 64 on my desktop and getting a blank screen after logging in after an update I installed last week. Have tried above ie grub menu ideas.. Now I can't even logon it won't accept my password. Any Ideas?

Comment

Let me tell what happened on my system in case it's of use to someone else.

I'm running a desktop system with an Intel i5 2500K cpu using the integrated HD 3000 graphics. After installing the last round of updates I also got the black screen with mouse cursor after restarting and entering my password.

I was able to get a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F2 and log in with my user name and password. I tried the suggestions above as well as some things on this thread. Nothing seemed to help.

At one point I tried the command "startkde". I got a message saying I didn't have that command on my system but it provided the apt-get command for installing the necessary package. I installed the package (sorry, I didn't note the package name). I then ran startkde and it opened a default desktop like you see after a new install. This desktop now comes up when I restart the computer. All my files and programs are there, but my settings are lost or misplaced.

[Edit] - I figured out that my settings were gone because I tried the "mv ~/,kde ~/kde_old" command suggested in the other thread. Once I renamed .kde_old back to .kde and restarted I had my old desktop back.
              Last edited by Guest; Jul 29, 2012, 03:36 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Might be kubuntu-desktop.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Continuing, I tried starting with a couple of the previously installed kernels from the GRUB menu and none worked. I have booted from a Kubuntu 11.10 CD and found out I have an ATi 760G Radeon 3000 graphics system. I don't remember ever installing any special video drivers for it. The 11.10 CD works fine as is. I am driving a 1920x1080 LCD using DVI. I have tried "startx" at the terminal but it gives errors. I'll try the "startkde" command to see what happens.

Comment

try loging in to a console/TTY and installing kubuntu-desktop like this thread http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-latest-update

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

I just tried the "startkde" command and got the invitation to install it with "apt-get." I did the install and then tried "startkde again and there was still nothing. Then I rebooted and after I logged in my desktop came up just as it had been before. I am now back in business.
                      Thanks,
                      Steve

Comment

nice now we know the fix for any one else that gets struck with this bug .........wunder why it dose not effect everyone though ?

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          wunder why it dose not effect everyone though?
                          Bad mirror, maybe?
                          Regards, John Little
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

Mine is finally working using the plasma-worktop, many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SteveTaylor View Post
                              I just tried the "startkde" command and got the invitation to install it with "apt-get." I did the install and then tried "startkde again and there was still nothing. Then I rebooted and after I logged in my desktop came up just as it had been before. I am now back in business.
                              Thanks,
                              Steve
                              There are several causes to this. Your's is probably one.

Two others that I know of are: 1) the .cache folder contains a .ksycocoa5 file that isn't owned by you (ownership has changed to root). 2) The video card driver or video card isn't up to snuff.

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure there are more. Most of the problems exhibiting this behavior are strictly due to a system upgrade. I've had one account work and another not, then the second account stopped working. In the end I just wiped the whole thing and started over. On my crucial systems I haven't done the upgrade. I use them too much to encounter such a nasty problem and not be able to completely resolve it every time.

Just today I found another cause. All the above mentioned requirements (by me) were met. I chose to boot and select from the grub menu the advanced boot options and selected upstart. After that I got past the black desktop with mouse cursor to the regular kubuntu desktop.

Comment

Working...
                              X