This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely Remove Nepomuk/Strigi/Akonadi/KMail/etc

I'm sure that all of this information exists... somewhere. I have spent almost 2 hours trying to find all of the pertinent details, and frankly, I'm quite frustrated. I do not use KMail, any KDE PIM apps, semantic desktop, and the like. And it is eating two of my machines alive. I would like to find a comprehensive guide to removing EVERYTHING having to do with Nepomuk, Strigi, Akonadi, Soprano, Virtuoso, KMail, etc. The packages to remove. The config files to change. The whole shebang.

I love the look and feel of recent KDE. I have been singing its praises. But this stuff is overkill for me, and IMHO, it should be optional to install it. I should not have to remove it. And figuring out how to remove it is quite a daunting task. Honestly... if Razor-QT was a mature environment at this point (and if I could make it pretty ;-) ), I would probably use that on these two machines since it runs like lightning. But I'm talking dual cores here and they are slow as molasses with all this crap running. I've already done the remove extra animations, effects, etc thing and it helps. Now I just need to remove this useless (to me) functionality (in its totality) and I think I'll be good to go.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive guide to remove ALL of this cruft from 12.04? Without the resultant error messages? Pretty please... with sugar on top?

Here's some info. Use at your own risk... http://parduswiki.pcdomain.com/Desktop_Tweaks

BTW, totally agree with your opinion but my machine handles the load OK so I stopped fighting the "Evil Triad" (strigi, nepomuk, akonadi). Previously, when they included huge memory leaks and other garbage I disabled them. One other point:; if you disable them this way you may see a whole butt-load of errors start to appear in your .xsession-errors file. That was when I gave in to the dark-side and left them installed. They might have fixed that bug by now, but I doubt it. Personally, I think it's a bug that you can't un-install this crap.

Please Read Me

Comment

It's not un-installable, cause entire KDE is built with strigi/soprano/s-d-o, so the rest of the libraries are linked against it. You can build your version, only strigi is really required, if KDE is built without soprano/s-d-o, you get no nepomuk.
      Code:
      set(STRIGI_MIN_VERSION 0.6.3) 
      macro_log_feature(STRIGI_FOUND "Strigi" "Desktop indexing and search support" "http://strigi.sourceforge.net" $[B]{STRIGI_REQUIRED}[/B] "${STRIGI_MIN_VERSION}" "${STRIGI_EXTRA_TEXT}")

set(SOPRANO_MIN_VERSION "2.7.56") 
      macro_[B]optional[/B]_find_package(Soprano ${SOPRANO_MIN_VERSION}

set(SHAREDDESKTOPONTOLOGIES_MIN_VERSION 0.10) macro_[B]optional[/B]_find_package(SharedDesktopOntologies ${SHAREDDESKTOPONTOLOGIES_MIN_VERSION})
      As for removing nepomuk, it's enough to remove virtuoso
      sigpic

Comment

Let's not forget about the kubuntu-lowfat-settings package, which will make an older machine run much snappier. As to your duel core processor PC's slowing down to a crawl, can you post a screenshot of your System Monitor app showing your PC load? Alternatively you could post a screenshot from the output of running Top or HTop from a terminal. That way we can see what's really the cause of a slow system. Thanks.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Sorry, but

I feel that if the software is not being used by myself, I do not want it installed. I have Kubuntu 12.xx on my netbook, I never use PIM/contacts/addressbooks/email/Semantic searches in ANY version of *buntu. My netbook has a small SSD, I want more of my storage space returned to me, but I do not want to use Unity nor other DE iterations, just want a simpler KDE. No, XFCE is not what I want.

Security wise, if an addressbook app is installed on my PC, then the address book data (my data) is also stored on my PC, and from there, the data can be compromised. That said, I feel that software which is not installed in any manner is also software that cannot be compromised, and is also not needing of updates and is not needing to deal with any conflicts. Like that annoying message saying there is no /home/mmmmna/.../contacts directory whenever I start KDE.

So. Needing more storage space, keeping my (CPU and admin) load simple, and moreover promoting security (yes, I delete cookies when I exit browsers), I wanted all PIM stuff removed from my system(s) so I searched these forums for "remove akonadi", I got 2 results. The other thread was older and mentioned compiling KDE on my own... seriously? Neophytes have to build KDE from scratch to avoid all facets of these features? Me, I'd rather take a fine grained approach at installation and be given the option to not install the 'mandated' PIM kark in the first place. It is a mandate if arguments prevail as to it being designed so as to be all but unremovable and the installer disign precludes user making individual package selections.

About that lowfat stuff...
          Originally posted by dequire View Post
          Let's not forget about the kubuntu-lowfat-settings package....
          Clicking that link produces a 'not found' 404 error.

Searching for kubuntu at The Blue Mint site produces:
          Originally posted by The Blue Mint
          Search Results for "kubuntu"

Sorry, we currently have no available products here. Please check the categories to the left.
          FWIW, that site is now an exercise oriented merchant, has nothing to do with Kubuntu.

Using Synaptic and searching my repositories for "lowfat" produces empty results.
          Oh, wait.... in Synaptic, I can find 'kubuntu low-fat settings' (with a hyphen), not lowfat (without a hyphen).

HTH
          Last edited by mmmmna; Mar 20, 2013, 11:10 AM.

Comment

go to system settings->Desktop Search and uncheck stringi and neopmuk being active.this way you don't need to rebuild the packages or jump thru hoops to update.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

@ mmmmna - You've replied to an 8 month old post - the link you noted that doesn't work most likely did work when the post was written.

The page has been relocated to: http://www.bluemintlinux.com/2011/10...-settings.html
              Last edited by HalationEffect; Mar 20, 2013, 11:45 AM.
              sigpic
              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

@HalationEffect
                Yes, this is the fundamental reason why using the internet to link to any document is an example of why the internet fails to be useful: websites change/disappear. Just one letter of the URL changing, and the future user has to start guessing.

Why did I raise the dead? Well, this thread also was the only alternative as found by my search, and in an effort to provide future searchers with SOMETHING other than a dead link, I was hoping it would be helpful to provide at least the current repository package name, spelled correctly (as of the current repository I used when I posted). This too shall change, I'm sure. but for now, some of the information in this thread has returned to being useful.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by mmmmna View Post
                  @HalationEffect
                  Why did I raise the dead? Well, this thread also was the only alternative as found by my search, and in an effort to provide future searchers with SOMETHING other than a dead link, I was hoping it would be helpful to provide at least the current repository package name, spelled correctly (as of the current repository I used when I posted). This too shall change, I'm sure. but for now, some of the information in this thread has returned to being useful.
                  Yes, it was. Thanks.

Comment

http://blogs.kde.org/2013/04/11/hack...roject-updated
                    Breaking down KDE into different "bits" to allow building/running KDE without certain bits if desired seems like a good idea, though I wonder if kdepim (Kontact, et al) would/could go that route

Comment

All one needs to do is to disable the indexing etc. a couple of clicks.

And does that make Kubu "snappier"....um yes.

As to removing them, we aren't operating on C-64s or Apple IIe's here. We devote multiple gigabytes more to pictures which we will NEVER AGAIN VIEW in a folder which we have forgotten ....than will ever be used by the "evil triad".

dunno....just applying some perspective and feel free to disagree....

If it is a "principles" thing...then yeah I can see that.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I've never noticed a slowdown after the initial indexing. I disable the email indexing as I use online email. If speed is an issue adding memory that can be used should help. However if you have no need for them then disabling them is an option that works as far as speed perceived. But as I said it doesn't seem to effect things here after the initial indexing.
                        GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

In the many time I re-installed Kubuntu, after some time I always get strange errors with ALWAYS this Nepomuk crap seems to be involved.. I want it removed too and also KMail because it is certainly not my mail client of choice since I lost several times acceess to the program. Things happen like "no mail in inbox" WTF? Since I use Thunderbird never had this again... Also the contacts manager is not to be trusted. I use the one in Thunderbird and make backups (ldif) of my contact every week. I use my system on professional basis and do not trust the Nepomuk and related software (backend). It is simply not reliable. I never understood why KDE developpers made the decision to force us into this path. I would like the opportunity to choose at setup wether to install this framework or not. Why force people into this? I would really like to have the FREEDOM OF CHOICE. Choose my own favorite software to integrate. Oh and yes I would like all the eye-candy to stay because my system can very easily handle that. Today I go and try to remove all the crap and see for myself if it does any good. Luckily I make backups of the system.

Sadly this is one of the few returns from Google when searching for: remove KMail from Kubuntu. Also, sadly, these kind of questions never really get answered decently. Always leaving us users with nothing but to accept...

Anyone knows how to make KDE with own applications integrated fully?? Does one really have to build it from scratch? Like this guide: http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Star...ld/Environment is getting a little too technical for me. Isn't there a more easy way?

Also this smb protocol source issue is really annoying when I try to open music file from my server. (not annoying enough to quit using KDE, but anyway..)

Has to be said: I love KDE evironment since I think is the best around! (despite the issues)

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                            All one needs to do is to disable the indexing etc. a couple of clicks.

And does that make Kubu "snappier"....um yes.

As to removing them, we aren't operating on C-64s or Apple IIe's here. We devote multiple gigabytes more to pictures which we will NEVER AGAIN VIEW in a folder which we have forgotten ....than will ever be used by the "evil triad".

dunno....just applying some perspective and feel free to disagree....

If it is a "principles" thing...then yeah I can see that.

woodsmoke
                            I'm one of those guys who despises the "evil triad" of neopmuk, et al. But I understand what you are saying and respect ypur opinion, because you are using Linux the way that you want to use it. I see the evil ones as less of an assistant than a tripping point. The pictures in the folder that MAY or MAY NOT be ever viewed again only take up volatile memory when being viewed. I keep all my photos in a dedicated folder; I may look at them, or I may never look at them again, but they are available when I want them on my terms and not on the terms of the evil ones. I have less rationale than ever for indexing stuff that isn't of immediate concern, and certainly doesn't need to be in an "always on" database. I'll just go to the folder - it'll be there; whatever "it" is.
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Well today I did remove Nepomuk, Akonadi, Virtuoso, KMail and some other programs like Amarok and Dragon player. After that I tried to rebuild my system, with no success. The whole system was crippled, not able to boot in X and so on. Tried re-installing all, but also no repos. So much for that adventure. Have my system up and running again now but that was a backup of course. I have a lot of experience in tech stuff but this is way above my knowledge level. So for now just have to live with this un needed software. Serious, I have a directory structure on my server. I never lose track of files. The server has around 8TB of data on it. I think it is the other way around. When you have software to keep track of your files, and you don't, then when the software fails, they are lost in the abyss. In a figure of speaking.

Comment

Working...
                              X