This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VLC & Handbrake cannot handle The Dark Knight DVD

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit, with a region 2 UK retail copy of The Dark Knight DVD. Both programs are their latest versions.

VLC won't play the disc, and Handbrake cannot rip it seemingly. The programs just hang or crash the desktop, with VLC being the worst (whole thing often locks up). I've tried it on Windows 7 and it's the same there with VLC, however Windows Media Player will handle the DVD fine.

Halp!
    PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Well it turns out Handbrake on Windows will do the trick, but not on Linux.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I did notice a lot of DVDREAD errors when I used Bangarang Media Player earlier. I've backed it up now on Windows as I say, but still this should be working on Linux.
    PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

I usually make/copy an iso using K3b and then play it with Smplayer or VLC.
      But maybe you've run into a DRM issue?
      Last edited by Teunis; Jul 15, 2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        I usually make/copy an iso using K3b and then play it with Smplayer or VLC.
        But maybe you've run into a DRM issue?
        I suspect you're right, but it's odd because the last release of Ubuntu I used (11.10 I think) the disc played fine. Perhaps there's been a regression somewhere?

I might give K3b a go, but I couldn't get any media player on Linux to play the film at all so I don't expect it to work here. Like I say, even VLC on Windows wouldn't play it, but luckily Handbrake on Windows sorted it for me. Very disappointed the Linux couldn't offer a solution, but never mind.

EDIT: Just trying your K3b suggestion. So far it seems to be working. I don't usually do it this way but I'm fine as long as it works. Of course I'm just proving a point now on Linux, but it has to be proved!

EDIT 2: Well I seemingly managed to rip the DVD with K3b, and created a full size .iso, but when I try to view it with VLC or whatever, again the whole desktop responds as before. I'm only just now able to type through the massive slowdown that is incurred with this issue. Everything just slows to a complete crawl. Looking in System Monitor, I can see the VLC process using up crazy amounts of resources, and after killing it the desktop slowly returns, but swap is hammered heavily. I have my swappiness value set low too; about 10. Ah well.
        Last edited by K-Project; Jul 15, 2012, 11:13 AM.
        PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Working...
        X