This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Telepathy 0.4 -- feedback requested

KDE Telepathy was released on 11 June with many new features. Read the KDE News update for more information.

Version 0.4 is currently available in the official Quantal repository. (Plans include backporting to Precise soon.) The Kubuntu developers are currently seeking feedback. If you're now using Kopete or an earlier version of KDE Telepathy, and are interested in evaluating the newer version, please install or upgrade and begin testing.

To avoid flooding bug reports with too much information, please report your experiences in this forum thread. The Kubuntu developers have requested that we do this, and they'll be checking in here. Thanks, everyone.

...Steve
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Jul 12, 2012, 11:14 AM. Reason: Changed reference from PPA to official repo.

Steve, why not PPA from Telepathy KDE team?
    https://launchpad.net/~telepathy-kde...filter=precise
    It's updated to 0.4.0, and it's "more official" than mine PPA
    sigpic

Comment

You'll note I edited my original post probably about the same time you asked your question. Harald mentioned that Quantal builds are now in the official archive, which I hadn't realized. He also mentioned that they plan to copy the Precise builds over, too.

Comment

Oh, and I'm steveriley @ jabber . org (XMPP), for those who wish to try it out.

Comment

Did that "your message is too long" error finally go away?

Comment

Originally posted by wh0rd View Post
            Did that "your message is too long" error finally go away?
            I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean or to whom you've addressed this question?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean or to whom you've addressed this question?
              I keep getting a "your message is too long" error every time I try to send a message on Jabber that's 5 or more words >26 characters long. I guess it's better to look at the bug tracker than ask here.

Comment

Hm, I've not encountered that before. Some bugs appear when I search for the "too long message" error, but they appear sporadic and curiously involve a number of Russian sites.

Comment

Weren't the gnome-keyring dependencies supposed to be gone by now?

Comment

It doesn't require the full gnome-keyring anymore. But it still pulls in libgnome-keyring because telepathy-mission-control depends on it. Even if that were eliminated, you'd still get the lib, as Telepathy is coded to use GStreamer, which depends on libsoup-gnome, which depends on libgnome-keyring. Sigh.

Comment

It doesn't require the full gnome-keyring anymore. But it still pulls in libgnome-keyring because telepathy-mission-control depends on it. Even if that were eliminated, you'd still get the lib, as Telepathy is coded to use GStreamer, which depends on libsoup-gnome, which depends on libgnome-keyring. Sigh.
                      On my installation, I'd get libgnome-keyring and libgnome-keyring-common, but not libsoup-gnome (I don't use gstreamer), is telepathy hardcoded to use gstreamer?
                      I've said it before, but telepathy's so called "cross-desktopness" is rather overrated. Poor design, bad implementation...(and I don't mean the kde-telepathy parts, you can only work with what you've got).

Comment

kde-telepathy -> kde-telepathy-minimal -> telepathy-mission-control-5 -> libgnome-keyring0 -> libgnome-keyring-common

My bad. KDE Telepathy only uses a few GStreamer libs, not the whole thing. I was plowing through Aptitude too fast. GStreamer libs come in via KDE Telepathy's dependencies on libqtwebkit and, if you have it installed, libfarstream via kde-telepathy-call-ui. At the moment, however, call-ui isn't installed on my Quantal box even though the KDE Telepathy metapackage is.

Comment

kde-telepathy -> kde-telepathy-minimal -> telepathy-mission-control-5 -> libgnome-keyring0 -> libgnome-keyring-common
                          Yes, I did check the deptree myself...hence the "complaining" about the telepathy backends (where the dependencies come from) :P

Luckily, kopete still serves my very modest IM needs just fine.

Comment

Don't see the issue.

Anyhow. call-ui is not pulled in by the metapackage because the dep chain would pull in libav which cannot be on the ISO image for legal reasons. We'll probably do some runtime do-you-want-to-install-to-enhance-experience-thing as we have for flash etc.
                            apachelogger, Kubuntu Core Developer and Master of the Minions.

Comment

According to the PPA's page, .4 packages are available for Precise as well...Test away
                              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                              K*Digest Blog
                              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X