Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Input Method (IME) on Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this is what you should get once you can add Japanese-Anthy

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture d'écran3.png
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	639946

Comment

You should also make sure that in the System Settings > Locale menu, English is set to use ibus.

Comment

Sorry for the delay...

HOLY SMOKES IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU!!! This must be the obscurest user interface bit I've ever seen! A tiny black > that works... beside a large grey word that doesn't! Dang!

But I have another question!!! I figured that I press Alt-` to activate/deactivate it, but when I press spacebar to convert the typed kana text to kanji, I don't see a dropdown menu like I used to (or is it my imagination?), so I have to keep pressing spacebar until I notice the correct conversion. I don't see any icon in the system tray despite the fact that the option is checkmarked in the IBus Preferences window, nor do I see the so-called "language panel" regardless of which of the three options I have chosen. (I have restarted before trying.) So... is there another trick to those? (1) dropdown menu (2) system tray icon (3) language panel

I'm leaving for today... nevertheless I appreciate each and every suggestion, thank you! I'll check again tomorrow.
        Last edited by Kurious; May 20, 2012, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Hmmm....for me, if I press space the first time, it guesses the kanji conversion. If I press the second time I get a small drop down menu, usually inconveniently placed in the upper left hand corner.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
            Hmmm....for me, if I press space the first time, it guesses the kanji conversion. If I press the second time I get a small drop down menu, usually inconveniently placed in the upper left hand corner.
            Same thing for me, except it shows in the lower left hand corner ...

Kurious, お目出度う
            It's true that this tiny '>' sign that opens up the submenu, makes it really uneasy to go through the whole thing.

Comment

@whatthefunk,
              @TotoAviateur,
              and everyone else who uses the Japanese IME

How about the tray icon or the language panel, do you have those?

ありがとうございます

Comment

You can configure the tray icon and language panel from the ibus settings menu on the bottom of the General page.

Comment

No matter how I modify the options on the bottom of the general page I get none of these three things: dropdown menu, tray icon, nor language panel. I even tried changing each item one by one and restarting after each single change, but that didn't help. (Example: uncheckmark "Show icon" then restart then checkmark "Show icon" then restart, etc.)

I've uninstalled everything related to Japanese/Anthy/IBus... and installed everything again... restarting many times in between every small step... and I still don't get those three things. At least I've got the most important thing running. (Arigatou.) However, I don't want to mark this thread as "solved" yet. Hopefully someone has an idea as to what else can I try regarding those three things? Thank you.

Comment

Hmmm....heres how mine is set up. This gives me an icon in the task bar and the language bar when Japanese is active. nothing?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I tried it that way and I don't get the dropdown nor icon. I'm marking this thread as solved. I can at least type in kanji and presumably if I reinstall the system it would all work now that I know what to do. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Hi All,

How did you get it working?
                        Here's a post of my problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1007423

I can't get ibus to work at all in KDE anymore.
                        Even with .bashrc edited with at the end:
                        export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
                        export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
                        export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus

iBus is working 100% in xfce howeover. (Xubuntu).

I also had SCIM installed and sometimes can use that to input Japanese, but rarely (I always forget the procedures I have to go through).

Comment

Originally posted by TotoAviateur View Post
                          Same thing for me, except it shows in the lower left hand corner ...

Kurious, お目出度う
                          It's true that this tiny '>' sign that opens up the submenu, makes it really uneasy to go through the whole thing.
                          OMG my only problem with Ibus on KDE was this little thing xD

thanks guys you all solved my problem

Comment

Working...
                          X