This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot time errors

I've got a laptop running 11.04 that produces the following error? messages at boot time (after the GRUB):

Code:
    [##:######] Bad LUN (0:1)
    [##:######] Bad Target (1:0)
    [##:######] Bad Target (2:0)
    [##:######] Bad Target (7:0)
    Where [##:######] is a colon separated eight-digit number that changes each time it is displayed.

Everything seems to work fine once it boots, but I wonder what these messages mean and how I might make them go away.

Thanks.
    Bill Lugg
    Last edited by luggw1; May 11, 2012, 08:04 PM.

Firstly, the numbers are uptime when the error occurred. LUN is Logical Unit Number and the Bad Targets are drives basically. This means either you have a failing or mis-configured SATA/SCSI drive controller or you are the victim of a kernel bug with certain Realtek hard drive controllers.

A kernel update should fix it, but if you're still using 11.04 you may not get one soon. I suggest trying a live version of 12.04 and seeing if the errors go away. Also, you might look into your BIOS and see if you can disable any unused SATA ports.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the info. The laptop is nearly new and I just discovered that the DVD writer has failed. So, I'm going to take it back to Best Buy first to see if they'll replace that before I install 12.04.

I did try booting off a flash drive with 12.04 on it and I believe I still saw the messages, but I'll wait for the installation before I say for sure.

Thanks again for the help.
      Bill Lugg

Comment

Working...
      X