X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.04 very slow in performance

Hi Folks:
    I have recently upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04. Upgrade went smooth without any problem. All work OK. However my system is very slow in response to any mouse click. When I click on K menu it takes a while for it to open and then it suddelnly disappears. Applications open with a long delay. Firefox scrolling jumps rather than a smooth rolling down or up, etc.
    Could somone please help?
    P. S. My system is a Gateway DX200S desktop, penT 4, 3.04 GHz, 2gig Ram with Intel 915G/GV/910GL Express chipset family.
    Thanks in advance!

First, check to see of the Desktop Effect 'Blur' is enabled (likely). If it is, disable it and then restart (log out/log in). The 'Blur' effect is very hard on Intel GPU's, when it works at all.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I can certainly attest to the misadventures caused by the blur effect. I actually had the same issue as the OP when I upgraded, but I solved it by first logging into another desktop environment to see if it was a hardware issue across the board. When I determined that it was not, I logged out and entered in "KDE failsafe", then looked at my desktop effects. I disabled desktop effects on startup, then logged out/in. Problem solved.

Now I have to go through each one to determine which effect caused the sluggish performance. There is another thread [strike](under this same sub-forum)[/strike] here that addresses "kwin" eating up 100% CPU resources upon start-up that may be of help, as well.
      Last edited by DarthMedicus; Apr 29, 2012, 12:31 PM. Reason: Erroneous Reference, Fixed
      (Regular) Linux User Since September 1, 2010 (First played around with Linux in 2004)
      Kubuntu 12.04 (64-bit), Dual Boot w/Windows Vista
      KDE 4.8.4a, HP Pavilion dv9623gl, AMD Turion64 x2
      nVidia GeForce Go 7150M, 2 GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        First, check to see of the Desktop Effect 'Blur' is enabled (likely). If it is, disable it and then restart (log out/log in). The 'Blur' effect is very hard on Intel GPU's, when it works at all.

I finally succeeded disabling "Blur" though somewhat difficult with the sluggishness of performance. It resolved the issue of slowness and performance returned to normal speed after re-logging in. Once only I got a warning about "net manager attach" closed unexpectedly which I pressed relaunch button and rebooted the system. So far it seems everything working OK. I also found out that switching to xrender is another solution. For now I stick with the way it is with "Blur" disabled. If I get further warning and/or crashes then I will switch to xrender for good.
        Thank you and others for your advice!. I will mark this thread resolved.

Comment

I have Intel video and found Xrender to be slow. No problems with OpenGL so far.

Comment

I've had the experience of disabling desktop effects (including blur) and having my system speed up significantly. But after a while it slowed down again. There's some kind of crud accumulating, I suspect.

Comment

Working...
            X