X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Drivers

I have recently done a fresh kubuntu 12.04 installation
    And everything works great except that neither of the Nvidia drivers in the "Additional Drivers" work
    When I install either of them and restart my system moves extremely sluggish until I uninstall them

Is there a solution for this?

Additional info:
    I'm running Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit
    Graphics Card: Geforce 6150SE nforce 430

1) Fresh load Kubuntu 12.04 with horrifying draw delays
    2) Reboot, then log in to KDM screen using failsafe KDE settings
    3) Went to proprietary hardware manager and updated to "updates" driver
    4) Tried logging out and in... things were worse
    5) Rebooted again, and logged in with failsafe KDE (BTW - I had to press a key to continue booting... screen was black, so I didn't know it was waiting)
    6) Added the repo above and intstalled that version of current (295.33)
    7) Rebooted and logged in to failsafe KDE
    8 ) Went to proprietary hardware manager and re-selected "current driver".
    9) Logged out.
    10) Logged in normally and all was good.
    This fixed the issue
    Last edited by Vaxon; May 10, 2012, 10:28 AM.

You could try from a terminal or konsole:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates

Last edited by doctordruidphd; Apr 27, 2012, 04:42 PM. Reason: clarification
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

nvidia-current is already the newest version.

don't think thats it

Comment

There is a bug in the current nvidia driver with certain nvidia cards. Nvidia is working on it and recommends that you either install a previous version or wait until the next version. You can also use the nouveau driver or if you want the nvidia driver, tell kde to use xrender instead of opengl.

Comment

The other thing you might try is turning off compositing and see if that gives you any improvement.

System Settings > Desktop Effects > General

and uncheck the "Enable Desktop Effects at Startup" box. See if that give you any improvement; if it does, then the
          NVIDIA driver bug is likely the culprit.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Alright, thanks for the info its greatly appreciated
            Guess I'll just wait this one out until the bugs are worked out

Comment

I have some serious issues with nVidia driver on a freshly installed Precise Pangolin too. I guess we will have to wait for an update.

Comment

The newest nvidia drivers have some issues. After installing them my windowing system was terribly slow. For a temporary fix you can try going to System Settings -- Desktop Effects -- Advanced and switch the Composting from OpenGL to XRender.

Worked for me, but if you specifically need opengl for something, you might have to fall back to the previous version of nvidias drivers (285 I believe).

Comment

Same problem on an on-board NVIDIA Corporation C73 [GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i] (rev a2); Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 430 @ 1.80GHz, 3 Gb of RAM.

Shift+Alt+F12 came quite handy after the upgrade form 11.10 to 12.04. That unlocked Plasma but I wanted to play QuakeLive (was extremely slow with 295.40).

As per suggestion 3 here, the Nvidia driver ver. 295.20 brought usable desktop effects back to KDE with no visible slow-downs (and fixed the Quake issue). Interestingly, Unity 3D, which was also affected, runs but with visible slow-downs under regular operations such as opening and minimizing windows, calling the Dash, etc.
                  Last edited by Guest; Apr 29, 2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Well, I was having this problem with my 2nd machine when I came upon a post at ubuntuforums that fixed it for me! Basically:

------

Firstly remove all the installed propietary driver from the Additional Drivers. Then type these commands into the terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
                    sudo apt-get update
                    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current=295.33-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1

Finally just reboot, and the unity3D will work (or at least I'm hoping it )
                    Of course you mustn't upgrade the nvidia-current to the 295.40 version, because it brokes everything.

P.S.: I hope you didn't purge the whole ubuntu-desktop, because I see this in your comment...

-----

Make sure to lock the driver when you finish so that it doesn't update again.

Comment

dr druidphd,

Wanted to thank you for the "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates", it cured the last problem I had with my card. I now have my eye-candy back.

thanx,
                      capt-zero

Comment

Actually, this is an addendum to my earlier post. After messing around a bit, the current Nvidia driver was not stable at all. My effects stopped working and my screen kept flickering worse and worse. I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and went with the Neuveau? drivers instead. Not optimal, but acceptable.

capt-zero

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
                          Well, I was having this problem with my 2nd machine when I came upon a post at ubuntuforums that fixed it for me! Basically:

------

Firstly remove all the installed propietary driver from the Additional Drivers. Then type these commands into the terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
                          sudo apt-get update
                          sudo apt-get install nvidia-current=295.33-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1

Finally just reboot, and the unity3D will work (or at least I'm hoping it )
                          Of course you mustn't upgrade the nvidia-current to the 295.40 version, because it brokes everything.

P.S.: I hope you didn't purge the whole ubuntu-desktop, because I see this in your comment...

-----

Make sure to lock the driver when you finish so that it doesn't update again.
                          When I try this, I get a really low resolution when restarting my computer. When I tried to run Nvidia X server settings, I get this:

"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."

Running "nvidia-xconfig" in the terminal didn't help either.

Comment

Okay... trying to remember this correctly... I think it went like this:

1) Fresh load Kubuntu 12.04 with horrifying draw delays
                            2) Reboot, then log in to KDM screen using failsafe KDE settings
                            3) Went to proprietary hardware manager and updated to "updates" driver
                            4) Tried logging out and in... things were worse
                            5) Rebooted again, and logged in with failsafe KDE (BTW - I had to press a key to continue booting... screen was black, so I didn't know it was waiting)
                            6) Added the repo above and intstalled that version of current (295.33)
                            8) Went to proprietary hardware manager and re-selected "current driver".
                            9) Logged out.

I'm almost certain that's the whole shebang. It worked great for me. Tell me if you get stuck.
                            Last edited by aybesea; May 01, 2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
                              8) Went to proprietary hardware manager and re-selected "current driver".
                              9) Logged out.

I'm almost certain that's the whole shebang. It worked great for me. Tell me if you get stuck.
                              You're the MAN aybesea! (Assuming that you're male ) I just needed to reselect "current" under "Additional Drivers", now it works purrrfectly! Actually I never had to use KDE failsafe settings, I just followed cellfourteen's excellent advice to use Shift+Alt+F12 to unlock Plasma.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X