This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow light bulb icon: Bug light?

Yellow light bulb icon started showing up in the system tray with Notification saying "Software upgrade notifications are available". This happens within seconds after boot.
    When I click on the yellow bulb an empty black band appears across the middle of the screen about 1/4th screen height and full width. A task in the tray says "Update Information-KDE Daemon". When I RT click and close in the task bar the task and black bar goes away and all is normal.

If I run update manager and reboot the yellow bulb comes back saying there are updates but running Update manager reports software is up to date.

This started about April 17 or 18 and is no big deal but curious.
    I don't recall seeing the yellow "bug light" icon before. I'm calling it a bug light because it looks like the old yellow porch bug lights that attract bugs.

Ken.
    Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
    This started about April 17 or 18 and is no big deal but curious.
    I experienced the same thing only yesterday. And as you say installed packages all seem fine.
    Tired of the prompts, I clicked "Never show again".
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

It must be a bug, since the message I get is "a software requested additional download after install" and it is always flash player, but if you click on "perform this action now", it opens a bash terminal but just sits there trying to capture mouse....and it tries to use "gksudo"...we're not on Gnome people, devs should look into this before final release

Comment

Same here on several systems.
        What they have in common is that the full Kubuntu desktop is installed.

Comment

I get this bug as well, but I can't find an item in the task bar to close it. Will this end up being useful? Or should I just disable it?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            Same here on several systems.
            What they have in common is that the full Kubuntu desktop is installed.
            I cannot reproduce this locally.

What do you mean precisely by "the full Kubuntu desktop is installed"? Do you men you have installed the package "kde-full"? If so, we may need to find which of these 200+ packages could be the culprit, assuming something pulled in by kde-full is the cause here.

An idea to check is if you have Apper installed, and hence 2 update managers running.

Comment

I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 12.04 b2 on Saturday Night... nothing changed from that stock .iso. And I am getting this black bar problem.

Comment

Same here, I finally installed Precise this past week myself. Looking for variables. I don't get the icon, and the black bar may be a different issue -more description and info, please?

Comment

I got the annoying lightbulb on my two systems (Asus eee 1015 BX and a normal desktop) after Muon failed to update adobe flash. After the update proces flash had disapeared and the lightbulb told me something about KDE deamon and that gksudo was not found on my system. I would have been surprised if it had been found.
                  I corrected the flash error with apt-get but the lightbulb stayed on the taskbar until I right clicked it and told it I didn't want to see it ever again.
                  In my home map I found a file called glob which contained an image of the message shown.
                  I couldń t make head or tails from it, so I deleted the file.
                  No more lightbulbs since then

Comment

Today I did updates and the black bar changed to grey with 2 long lines of text. I was able to select the first line and copy it to kate. Looks like the same message in many languages.

Failure to download extra data filesName-ar.UTF-8: فشل تنزيل ملفات البيانات الإضافيةName-ast.UTF-8: Fallu al descargar ficheros de datos estraName-bn.UTF-8: অতিরিক্ত ডাটা ফাইল ডাউনলোড করতে ব্যর্থ হয়েছেName-bs.UTF-8: Neuspjelo učitavanje dodatnih datoteka s podacimaName-ca.UTF-8: Ha fallat la baixada dels fitxers de dades addicionalsName-da.UTF-8: Kunne...

The 2nd line wouldn't let me select it so I typed it.

The following packages requested additional data downloads after package installation, but the data could not be downloaded or could not be processed...flashplugin-installer..The download will be attempted again later,or you can try again now....

Todays updates had
                    update-notifier-common, update-manager-core, update-manager-kde among other stuff.

Ken.
                    Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Icorken that's a good catch.

Thanks for identifying the cause.
                      Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

This bug affects me too.

Comment

I had the same issue with Flash, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the package... but the yellow light bulb is still there. Do I need to clear it? Do I even need it if I have the other KDE notifier?

Comment

On an Intel system I had the black bar, on an ATI system it showed the loooong bar as described by Icorken.

Yes I mean kubuntu-full:
                            This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu DVD for a very complete system. Installing this package will include much more than the default Kubuntu Plasma Desktop or Netbook installation.

Comment

i had this problem too. Running either and/or the following commands from terminal should clear it from the taskbar. you might want to check each files contents first though before you run the command.
                              sudo rm /var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed
                              sudo rm /var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed-permanently

Comment

Working...
                              X