X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.8.2 : Uninstall entry on right clic in KickOff

Hello everybody,

In KDE 4.7.4 for example, we had the "Uninstall" entry when we right clicked on an application in KickOff, please see the following picture :

In KDE 4.8.2 (Kubuntu 12.04), Uninstall entry is not here... How can we have it again ??

Thanks for any future solutions.

PackageKit

The Kickoff application uninstaller is (/ was ?) part of the PackageKit : https://svn.reviewboard.kde.org/r/5974/diff/

Patch to use PackageKit session interface to "Uninstall" the applications.
    When kickoff starts it checks if the session interface is available, if it's not available the
    right click option to "Uninstall" applications will not be displayed.
    You could try to install the Apper / PackageKit.

Apper:
    KDE package management tool using PackageKit
    Last edited by OneLine; Apr 14, 2012, 04:45 PM.
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

I have installed packagekit package and I don't have this uninstaller entry in KickOff again... And I don't want to install Apper, I already have Muon.. On Kubuntu 11.10 I don't have Apper and I have this entry... I have to search which package is missing..

EDIT : I have installed Apper, PackageKit... And tada nothing... So there is a problem...
      Last edited by ti_tux; Apr 14, 2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Kpackagekit/apper are the same program as far as I remember (later versions are called apper, older ones kpackagekit).

Comment

and it does not solve my "problem" because I don't have the uninstaller entry .. If you have an other solution..?

Comment

Originally posted by ti_tux View Post
            and it does not solve my "problem" because I don't have the uninstaller entry .. If you have an other solution..?
            I have neither apper, packagekit, nor kpackagekit installed, and I do have the "Uninstall" option.

It is evidently tied to the "sessioninstaller" package -- that is the application that owns the window that comes up. So try installing sessioninstaller.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Interesting.
              Description-en: APT based installer using PackageKit's session DBus API
              Sessioninstaller allows applications to easily install additional software
              (e.g. extensions or GStreamer codecs), uninstall files and perform simple
              software status queries by implementing the distribution neutral
              D-Bus session interface of PackageKit.
              The whole process including confirmation, error reporting and progress
              and notification is handled by sessioninstaller.
              The reference implementation of the D-Bus interface can be found in
              gnome-packagekit. It was also adpoted by KPackageKit.
              In contrast to gnome-packagekit and KPackageKit it doesn't use the PackageKit
              daemon for querying and installation, but instead makes use of APT and
              aptdaemon (alternatively synaptic can be used).
              Homepage: http://launchpad.net/sessioninstaller

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Code:
                greenman@Wolfenstein:~$ apt-cache policy packagekit kpackagekit apper
                packagekit:
                  Installed: (none)
                  Candidate: 0.7.2-4ubuntu3
                  Version table:
                     0.7.2-4ubuntu3 0
                        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe amd64 Packages
                     0.7.2-2ubuntu1 0
                        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                kpackagekit:
                  Candidate: 0.7.1-1ubuntu1
                  Version table:
                     0.7.1-1ubuntu1 0
                apper:
                  Version table:
                     0.7.1-1ubuntu1 0
                This does not mean that PARTS of those applications are not installed.
                Last edited by doctordruidphd; Apr 14, 2012, 07:08 PM. Reason: update
                We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

sessioninstaller is already installed... and I have no uninstalller entry....

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd View Post
                    Code:
                    greenman@Wolfenstein:~$ apt-cache policy packagekit kpackagekit apper
                    packagekit:
                      Candidate: 0.7.2-4ubuntu3
                      Version table:
                         0.7.2-4ubuntu3 0
                         0.7.2-2ubuntu1 0
                            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                    kpackagekit:
                      Version table:
                         0.7.1-1ubuntu1 0
                    apper:
                      Version table:
                         0.7.1-1ubuntu1 0
                    This does not mean that PARTS of those applications are not installed.
                    I agree with you ! You have this uninstaller entry so you have installed some packages that I have not... but which ?

Comment

This is a system that has been upgraded many times, ultimately from 7.04. So even though packagekit has been removed, it probably left pieces behind. I did a search with Synaptic for packagekit, and came up with the following:

python-packagekit
                      libpackagekit-qt2-2
                      packagekit-backend-aptcc
                      libpackagekit-glib2-14
                      sessioninstaller
                      libpackagekit-qt14
                      python-aptdaemon.pkcompat

Could be that one of those is necessary. Could also be something in kde itself.

Comment

All of these were installed except python-aptdaemon.pkcompat. But it didn't change anything.

Comment

Have you logged out/in yet?
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes but it did nothing. So I reboot and .......... I have my uninstall entry ! Thanks to doctordruidphd.
                            We must have these packages for this uninstaller entry :

python-packagekit
                            libpackagekit-qt2-2
                            packagekit-backend-aptcc
                            libpackagekit-glib2-14
                            sessioninstaller
                            python-aptdaemon.pkcompat

Thanks to all of you who help me !

See you later

Comment

Good info, thanks! I did not even realize the entry was missing. It would sure simplify the process of removing unused software from ones system. I just installed the listed packages and rebooted. When I got back to the desktop, voila, the Uninstall option was available in the Kickstart menu. Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X