X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightdm-KDE

http://www.sharpley.org.uk/node/26
    KDE and LightDM revisited

LightDM is a login manager (think KDM/GDM) for Linux, it is written in a way that is completely backend/frontend independent so we can share our the complex parts with our Gnome friends, whilst keeping KDE UI layers on top. It is currently the default display manager in Ubuntu...
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/pr...ry/009820.html
    lightdm-kde (0.0.git20120214-0ubuntu1) precise; urgency=low

* Initial package

lightdm-kde-greeter

Description: LightDM KDE greeter
    lightdm-kde provides a LightDM greeter using KDE libraries.

Changing dm (kdm/gdm/lightdm)
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

Themes: System Settings > Login Manager > Classic/ User List / User Bar

/usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/
    Last edited by OneLine; Mar 31, 2012, 01:29 PM.
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I played with it - very nice, but not as featured as kdm yet. Definietly got potential.

Comment

Here's an interesting counterpoint that raises some arguments against a non DE-specific display manager...

Comment

Status

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2012/02/15...ntu-devel.html
        Ezim are we changning to lightdm for 12.04? 13:38
        Riddell no 13:38
        Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
        - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
          Here's an interesting counterpoint that raises some arguments against a non DE-specific display manager...
          The first comments to that article basically say that power management should be independent of the DE. I agree 100% with this. I have never understood why power management (including disk spin down, screen dimming, screen sleep, system suspend, system hibernate, and probably more) should require a specific DE. ... Well OK, I do: because originally no one ever thought these things were important for desktops and still they probably aren't important for servers. I'd like my power management (and a few other things* but I can't recall my list now) to be functional before I start X and to be the same regardless of which DE I launch, if any.

Oh yes, remembered one - my password safe - especially for wifi so that I can access my wireless network when I boot to a command line!

All the DE should have is GUI tools to configure the power management settings and the password safe and those other things I can't remember, but they should all be implemented outside of X. ... Which I suppose means even lightdm is the wrong place for power management.

But something tells me this will never happen ...
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Agreed. Neither the DE nor the DM should be responsible for such basic functionality as power management, network management, time zone configuration, and so on. Matter of fact, I believe that there exist sufficient command-line utilities for managing all these. The DE should simply provide a GUI overlay for existing utilities.

Wait...I think I just wrote the same thing you did...!

Comment

Do sufficient command-line utilities (daemons as well as settings utilities) really exist? Networking yes, but power management?

And more importantly, can our favourites DE(s) be configured to use the command-line platform's utilities instead of enforcing their own?
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

The repos show a few utilities that have some kind of power-management function:

* laptop-mode-tools
                * pm-utils
                * powernap
                * acpi-support
                * powertop

The LessWatts.org project has more.

I suspect these reflect various states of maintenance; I haven't thoroughly investigated them. Regarding how/whether KDE integrates with them, I don't have an answer for that.

Comment

Working...
                X