This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading 11.10 to 12.04

Hello everyone. Another random post over here rather than ubuntuforums.

I did a Google search and couldn't find out how to upgrade Kubuntu to the latest dev release (it's easy with Ubuntu, just $ update-manager -d).

I eventually found kubuntu-do-release-upgrade, but that didn't work. Instead I had to use

$ sudo do-release-upgrade -f kde -d

This worked perfectly.
    Laptop: Dell Studio 1749: i5 540 (2.5GHz), 8GB, ATi 5650, Intel 5300AGN GNOME3C@12.04x64<br />&quot;Work&quot;: Compaq Mini 311c: Atom N270 (OC@2.0GHz), 3GB, Nvidia ION, Broadcom G+BT Unity@11.10x32<br />Comms: HTC Vision@2.3 (CM7); ZTE Blade@2.3 (CM7) on GiffGaff

Have you tried "do-release-upgrade -d"?

Comment

Hey guys, I have a similar problem. Every time a new KDE release happens is when I go for the upgrade to the next Kubuntu release via upgrade. every time I put in the "do-release-upgrade -d" into the terminal, it returns with a "no new release found". IT'snot a network problem as I can access the internet easily, and I'm able to get updates through Muon (just got a kernel update yesterday).

BTW, is the minimal CD ready for PP yet in case I go that route instead?
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
        Hey guys, I have a similar problem. Every time a new KDE release happens is when I go for the upgrade to the next Kubuntu release via upgrade. every time I put in the "do-release-upgrade -d" into the terminal, it returns with a "no new release found". IT'snot a network problem as I can access the internet easily, and I'm able to get updates through Muon (just got a kernel update yesterday).

BTW, is the minimal CD ready for PP yet in case I go that route instead?
        do-release-upgrade is only for upgrading a full Ubuntu release, say from 11.10 to 12.04. It won't catch mid-release package and component upgrades, such as the KDE 4.7.4 to 4.8 release or updated kernels. For these, you'll continue to use apt-get or Muon.

And yes, the mini ISO is available. This is pretty much how I build everything now.

Comment

something must have been screwed up before, because the do-release-upgrade" now works again. I'll hold off on the upgrade until tonight though. The reason I do the relase upgrade (11.10 to 12.04, say) is that I don't want to download the 4.8 packages twice (oncve from the PPA, then later from the 12.04 upgrade).
          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

something must have been screwed up before, because the do-release-upgrade" now works again. I'll hold off on the upgrade until tonight though. The reason I do the relase upgrade (11.10 to 12.04, say) is that I don't want to download the 4.8 packages twice (oncve from the PPA, then later from the 12.04 upgrade).
            This will likely happen anyway... as kde will be upgraded during the release of 12.04... hell, its more likely to see more kde packages (and other packages) being downloaded as developers fix things. Its not like they build it once and then forget about it on the development release.

Overall I would say you use more bandwidth upgrading to 12.04 now then you would later.

Comment

OF course you also include the bugfix updates too (4.8.1, 4.8.2, etc.), but that's regardless whether you use the PPA on Oneiric (and earlier) or in the development here of PP.

I am now upgrading to precise right now (almost halfway through the download as of this post). I got my fingers crossed

Comment

Apparently a LOT of people are moving to Precise. An automatic update was triggered this afternoon. The average download speed was 50kB/s :eek: , which meant that I was wasteing a LOT of my 2 MB/s DL speed.

So, be patient! It may be faster at 3 AM.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 01, 2012, 10:15 AM. Reason: typo
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Apparently a LOT of people are moving to Precise...The average download speed was 50kB/s
                  Technically... that only says that allow of people are downloading updates/packages on your mirror as all mirrors should have all packages for all supported versions of ubuntu.

If your mirror is being slow you could try changing to a new one and see if that one is any faster.

Comment

Well I'm here, on 12.04, and everything is working well, so far. The upgrade was completed at about quarter to 11. The first update was to the kernel (a minor one to the 3.2.0_12 version). It looks good too, as always.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                      Technically... that only says that allow of people are downloading updates/packages on your mirror as all mirrors should have all packages for all supported versions of ubuntu.

If your mirror is being slow you could try changing to a new one and see if that one is any faster.
                      I don't believe that there is a mirror to the http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/ server for CD images. There is a DVD image server: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/dvd/current/ , but most people won't be downloading a DVD LiveCD. The index to mirrors, http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ , leads to only the URLs listed above.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Well I'm here, on 12.04, and everything is working well, ......
                        That's been my experience as well. There are some minor issues: I can't install KOffice or any of its components because of library conflicts, but that will be ironed out with time. Occasionally a plasmoid will crash but it restarts immediately, and if it weren't for the notification tool in the system tray I wouldn't have known about the crashes because they did not affect the operation of the desktop in any noticeable way.

I did discover one bug yesterday. I was running firefox 10.0 and opened a tab to view a 7MB tiff of the jpg "Earth at Night". About halfway down it froze everything except my mouse, and it was jumpy. I was able to hit Alt+F2 and get a Konsole, but when I logged in the response was painfully slow ... five minutes to respond to a keystroke. Because I hadn't activated the Ctrl+Alt+Bksp key to kill the xserver I had to hit the power button. I retried it and got the same result.

After that fiasco, I went to System Settings --> Input Devices --> Keyboard, Advanced tab, and checked "Key sequence to kill the x server".

But, for my everyday usage Precise is just as stable as Lucid was on my old laptop, except that now I get to enjoy the advantages of KDE 4.8! :cool:

Comment

Ahh, the joys of alphas and betas.

Comment

Ahh, the joys of alphas and betas.
                            And for 99.99% of the time Precise is an absolute joy!

In fact, my current installation is running as good as my Lucid install on my Sony. I've run my Sony only once in the last month for just a few minutes to move some files to the clound for transfer to this box.

Comment

Same here, though it's still somewhat early yet. Alpha 2 was just released today (just now caught the DW headline) and anything can happen through the two betas on to the April 26 release day.

Comment

Working...
                              X