This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set a favorite in Rekonq

I think that just about anybody would agree that I very seldom actually just say outright that something done in Linux is about as "bass ackwards" as it can be, because I GREATLY respect the developers of ANYthing and truely like innovation.

But, sometimes the way things are "done" just elude me.

Like "setting a favorite" in Rekonq.

a) one has to UNtick something to get the function to work.
    b) the function is not "intuitive".
    c) Now, given, they can't just do it the "old way" because the "old way" just works but also it is what is done by "other people" and one steps on their turf.

But.... to have the default configuration so that one CANNOT set a favorite just eludes me.

To set a favorite first(this is in version 0.8.0).

Go to the top right with the "wrench" and click it and go to configure.

Go to tabs and then UNtick:

"Open links in new tab instead of new window."

close

ok then click tab for a new site and you will get "favorites".

Click the "plus" sign for "add favorite" and a new box appears down at the bottom.

Click it and you will see a bar at the top that says "Please open up the webpage you want to add as a favorite."

The webpage then loads and after it has COMPLETELY loaded the button at the top right will be "available" and it says: "set to this page"

Click it and the webpage will appear in the favorite box.

Ok, lets analyze the situation.

a) How many CLICKS and sweeps of the mouse did it take to do that in Rekonq as opposed to clicking the favorites button and "add favorite" in Firefox?
    b) But, given that, whereas FF gives on a jillion favorites and one has to scroll through them looking for the one that was made two MONTHS ago and one can't remember it....

With Rekonq one gets a nice pretty picture to REMIND you of the two month old favorite! , but.... I don't know that having a nice pretty picture is that kewl when there are ten jillion favorites, as in my normal situation! ....

So....one has tradeoffs in any situation.

And I DO....see the point....trying to do something differently is a GOOD thing!

But...one last thing....the use of the term "open up".... is redundant. It uses two more letters which are 16 bits of data. PLUS the spaces on either side of the word "up".

Displaying "up" a jillion times a day wastes ergs of energy, and in our new wonderful world of "greenness"..... and supposedly intelligent people.....

I think that one could "lose" the "up" in the next iteration of Rekonq. (just the english teacher in the old woodsmoker getting loose! )

woodsmoke

sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: How to set a favorite in Rekonq

Rekonq has both favorites and bookmarks. Bookmarks are the old-style endless list of accumulated pages you'll never visit again. While Rekonq's favorite-setting is perhaps suboptimal, it's better than Chrom(e)(ium)'s new-tab-page interpretation, which is constantly shifting. BTW, why did you have to make the initial new-tab/new-page change?

Comment

Working...
    X