This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solution] Evolution in Kubuntu 11.10

I spent a good portion of the day getting Evolution to work smoothly on my mom's PC, so I thought I'd share my solutions here. There were three main issues I encountered: missing icons, ugly theme and a prompt for the gnome-keyring on startup. The ugly theme is because oxygen-gtk doesn't theme gtk3 apps yet (although this is in the works). I solved this by installing the Zukitwo gtk3 theme, but other gtk3 themes should work as well.

First, here are instructions that will resolve both the missing icons and the ugly theme issues:
    • Install the following packages: gtk3-engines-unico gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-pixbuf humanity-icon-theme
    • Download the http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Zukitwo?content=140562"]Zukitwo theme[/url] from gnome-look.org.
    • Follow the included instructions to install it (installing to ~/.themes works fine).
    • Create the file /home/username/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini (replacing "username" with your login name) with the following contents:
    Code:
    [Settings]
    gtk-theme-name = Zukitwo
    gtk-fallback-icon-theme = Humanity
    # next option is applicable only if selected theme supports it
    gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = false
    # set font name and dimension
    gtk-font-name = Ubuntu 9
    [/list]
    These changes will affect all GTK3 apps, not just Evolution.

Now, to address the gnome-keyring issue: The problem is that the gnome-keyring is not being logged into when the user logs into the desktop session. Here is what I did to solve this:[list][*]Install the following packages: gnome-keyring libpam-gnome-keyring seahorse[*]Add the following two lines to /etc/pam.d/kdm:
    Code:
    auth    optional   pam_gnome_keyring.so try_first_pass
    session  optional   pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
    ...but they must be added in the correct spot, so the resultant file should look like this:
    Code:
    #
    # /etc/pam.d/kdm - specify the PAM behaviour of kdm
    #
    auth    required   pam_nologin.so
    auth    required   pam_env.so readenv=1
    auth    required   pam_env.so readenv=1 envfile=/etc/default/locale
    @include common-auth
    auth    optional   pam_gnome_keyring.so try_first_pass
    session  required   pam_limits.so
    @include common-account
    @include common-password
    @include common-session
    session  optional   pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
    [*]Add the following line to the end of /etc/pam.d/passwd:
    Code:
    password  optional  pam_gnome_keyring.so
    • Run seahorse and delete the default keyring and create a new keyring called “login” with a password identical to your login password. Set this as default.
    • Reboot and cross your fingers, legs, etc. and hope it works. If all went well, you shouldn't be prompted to enter your keyring password.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Re: [solution] Evolution in Kubuntu 11.10

Thank you very much Mr_Bumpy!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Bumpy, I've moved your topic to our "How To" section to improve discoverability. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Comment

One other little niggle I noticed with Evolution under KDE is the inability to open web links (you get an error). Setting the default gnome browser using gconf apparently no longer works for GNOME 3 apps, so I did some research and found the following commands work for GNOME 3:
        Code:
        xdg-mime default firefox.desktop x-scheme-handler/http
        xdg-mime default firefox.desktop x-scheme-handler/https
        Now, links in Evolution mails open in Firefox rather than throwing up an error. Of course, if you wish to set a browser other than Firefox as the default, you will need to use the appropriate *.desktop link in the above commands.

I hope this helps someone.

Comment

Working...
        X