X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to: video file preview in Dolphin

Hi
    I don't know why but my latest Kubu install did not have a video preview in Dolphin, although it does show static image previews.

The repos hold:

ffmpegthumbnailer
    kffmpegthumbnailer
    mplayerthumbnailer

I installed first ffmp... and it worked but didn't show a couple of the previews so I installed kffmp.... and same but no improvement. I then installed mpla.. and no change there also.

One then goes to the folder with the video file(s) in Dolphin and in the configure wrench thing at the top right one goes to "General" and the preview tab and then can tick any or all of the previewers as desired.

There is a config for mplayer it is in terminal: mplayerthumbnailer config. The only thing that seemed that it might help was to change the "back end" from phonon to mplayer. I tried that but no help so I went back to phonon.

So... if you want to see previews of video files in Dolphin, I think any of the above three would help.

woodsmoke

sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: how to: video file preview in Dolphin

ffmpegthumbs works great here

[img width=400 height=269]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16223945/ffmpegthumbs.jpg[/img]
    ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Yeah, kinda funny...I was browsing through the repositories today and also found ffmpegthumbs. Since it's part of the KDE Multimedia module, I chose to install that one, and it indeed it works.

Comment

There has been/ there are video thumbailers:
        • mplayerthumbs
        • kffmpegthumbnailer
        • ffmpegthumbs - same as the kffmpegthumbnailer, as part of the KDE
        • z166-kde4-ffmpeg
        • Xbmc Cover

FAQ: KDE preview thumbnail - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...view-thumbnail

Comparing thumbnailers: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post300694

AskUbuntu - Is there a kde dolphin thumbnail creator for video files that would use built-in thumbnails?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/67956...d-use-built-in

AskUbuntu - about previews: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12505...k-look-for-kde

Video Previews: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...Video-Previews
        Last edited by OneLine; Jan 08, 2016, 01:16 PM.
        Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
        - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Oooh thanks for this. Didn't know this was available.
          PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Video previewer in Precise

All three video thumbnailers (FFMpegThumbs, kFFMpegThumbnailer, and MPlayerThumbs) still work for me in Precise Pangolin without any problems (I upgraded to the latest FFMPEG, of course, before installing the FFMPEG-dependent ones).

MPlayerThumbs seems the most powerful, but the slowest, to me. It can play the video from within the Dolphin side panel, but I don't particularly see the point... I might as well start the file with VLC to preview it than do this (which is faster anyway).

I do note that installing any of them requires logging out and logging in for the installation to take effect.

================================================== ===================

Here's the KubuntuGuide blurb for Precise (from http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_...n_file_manager ):

The KDE Multimedia Project has three video thumbnailers available for use with file managers such as Dolphin and Konqueror: FFMpegThumbs (ffmpegthumbs), FFMpegThumbnailer (kffmpegthumbnailer), and MPlayerThumbs (mplayerthumbs). Also see the Kubuntu Forums thread for tips and troubleshooting.

* FFMpegThumbs uses FFMPEG to create thumbnail frames from video files, which can be used by KDE from a file manager like Dolphin. Install:

sudo apt-get install ffmpegthumbs

Alternatively, install KFFMpegThumbnailer (sudo apt-get install kffmpegthumbnailer), which works in a similar manner. (Both require FFMPEG to be installed.)

After installation of either of these modules, log out and log back into (or restart) your system for changes to take effect.

* MPlayerThumbs not only shows a video frame thumbnail in Dolphin, it also has the capacity to show the entire video in the Dolphin Information side panel (for previewing). Though more powerful, it is slower to load than either FFMpegThumbs or KFFMpegThumbnailer. (MPlayer must also be installed for this thumbnailer / previewer to function.) Install:

sudo apt-get install mplayerthumbs

After installation, log out and log back into (or restart) your system for changes to take effect.

* Make sure the settings for Dolphin allow JPG and Video previews:

Dolphin -> Settings -> Configure Dolphin... -> General -> Previews -> JPEG Images (ticked) -> Video Files (ticked) -> OK
            -> View -> Preview (ticked)

Close and re-open Dolphin for changes to take effect.

* If you wish information about the file to be displayed while the cursor hovers over the filename, also make sure Dolphin "tooltips" is enabled:

Dolphin -> Settings -> Configure Dolphin... -> General -> Behavior -> Show tooltips (ticked)
            -> View -> Panels -> Information (ticked)

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
            and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

One then goes to the folder with the video file(s) in Dolphin and in the configure wrench thing at the top right one goes to "General" and the preview tab and then can tick any or all of the previewers as desired...........................................

Comment

odt files previex thumnails dolphin

Originally posted by perspectoff View Post
                All three video thumbnailers (FFMpegThumbs, kFFMpegThumbnailer, and MPlayerThumbs) still work for me in Precise Pangolin without any problems (I upgraded to the latest FFMPEG, of course, before installing the FFMPEG-dependent ones).

MPlayerThumbs seems the most powerful, but the slowest, to me. It can play the video from within the Dolphin side panel, but I don't particularly see the point... I might as well start the file with VLC to preview it than do this (which is faster anyway).

I do note that installing any of them requires logging out and logging in for the installation to take effect.

================================================== ===================

Here's the KubuntuGuide blurb for Precise (from http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_...n_file_manager ):

The KDE Multimedia Project has three video thumbnailers available for use with file managers such as Dolphin and Konqueror: FFMpegThumbs (ffmpegthumbs), FFMpegThumbnailer (kffmpegthumbnailer), and MPlayerThumbs (mplayerthumbs). Also see the Kubuntu Forums thread for tips and troubleshooting.

* FFMpegThumbs uses FFMPEG to create thumbnail frames from video files, which can be used by KDE from a file manager like Dolphin. Install:

sudo apt-get install ffmpegthumbs

Alternatively, install KFFMpegThumbnailer (sudo apt-get install kffmpegthumbnailer), which works in a similar manner. (Both require FFMPEG to be installed.)

After installation of either of these modules, log out and log back into (or restart) your system for changes to take effect.

* MPlayerThumbs not only shows a video frame thumbnail in Dolphin, it also has the capacity to show the entire video in the Dolphin Information side panel (for previewing). Though more powerful, it is slower to load than either FFMpegThumbs or KFFMpegThumbnailer. (MPlayer must also be installed for this thumbnailer / previewer to function.) Install:

sudo apt-get install mplayerthumbs

After installation, log out and log back into (or restart) your system for changes to take effect.

* Make sure the settings for Dolphin allow JPG and Video previews:

Dolphin -> Settings -> Configure Dolphin... -> General -> Previews -> JPEG Images (ticked) -> Video Files (ticked) -> OK
                -> View -> Preview (ticked)

Close and re-open Dolphin for changes to take effect.

* If you wish information about the file to be displayed while the cursor hovers over the filename, also make sure Dolphin "tooltips" is enabled:

Dolphin -> Settings -> Configure Dolphin... -> General -> Behavior -> Show tooltips (ticked)
                -> View -> Panels -> Information (ticked)

if helps : to odt files

sudo apt-get install kde-thumbnailer-openoffice

Comment

Working...
                X