This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.8 beta

Sorry to hear some people are having issues... my upgrade to 4.8 RC went quite well (other than a muon issue) and I am very impressed with how responsive it is...

Comment

Re: KDE 4.8 beta - Precise with Skype - Working

Sooo to update my endeavor into KDE 4.8 on Ubuntu with Skype working on Precise

Step 1: Install Kubuntu Oneiric 11.10
      Step 2: After install is done - reboot into single user - then apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
      Step 3: Download and Install skype via dpkg - i skype-ubuntu_2.2.0.25-1_amd64.deb
      (NOTE: This will fail due to the libs needed, so)
      apt-get -f install will fix things up
      Step 4: in /etc/apt/sources.list change s/oneiric/precise/g
      then apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade
      get coffee, this takes a bit of time
      after complete
      reboot
      and you should have a working Precise desktop with KDE 4.8RC and Skype, using oneirics multiarch i386 libs...... do not "uninstall" them

Comment

Anyone getting KMail to work well with GMail and IMAP. I have been having problems with this since about 2007 (seriously!). I was hoping 4.8 would deliver some relief. But retrieving mail from GMail is either slow or fails altogether. The latest looks like the screenshot attached. I found a bug I submitted to KDE back in 2007 on this same issue.
        Attached Files

Comment

I also have PIM issues on 4.8. I was optimistic about KDEPIM state with 4.7.3/4 , but it seems it got some regressions with 4.8.
          Mails are fetched really slow, multiple actions cause kmail to freeze for some time, mails don't get deleted,random crashes, etc.
          sigpic

Comment

I've found that if you have labels created in your Gmail accounts that it tends to throw KMail off. In my experiences you need to have no GMail IMAP folders other than "Inbox" checked, with all other labels (Including Gmail's system labels) unchecked. On the client-side (within KMail) you can then set up all of the filters, folders, and rules you want.

Just my 2 ₵
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by sumski
              I also have PIM issues on 4.8. I was optimistic about KDEPIM state with 4.7.3/4 , but it seems it got some regressions with 4.8.
              Mails are fetched really slow, multiple actions cause kmail to freeze for some time, mails don't get deleted,random crashes, etc.
              My experience exactly. I don't even know where to begin with filing bug reports...

Comment

Originally posted by pbh
                My experience exactly. I don't even know where to begin with filing bug reports...
                KDE Bug Tracking System
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by jcphil
                  Anyone getting KMail to work well with GMail and IMAP. I have been having problems with this since about 2007 (seriously!). I was hoping 4.8 would deliver some relief. But retrieving mail from GMail is either slow or fails altogether. The latest looks like the screenshot attached. I found a bug I submitted to KDE back in 2007 on this same issue.
                  Originally posted by dequire
                  I've found that if you have labels created in your Gmail accounts that it tends to throw KMail off. In my experiences you need to have no GMail IMAP folders other than "Inbox" checked, with all other labels (Including Gmail's system labels) unchecked. On the client-side (within KMail) you can then set up all of the filters, folders, and rules you want.
                  It shouldn't be necessary to recreate your folder hierarchy locally -- the point of IMAP is to avoid that.

Which IMAP server are you using for Gmail? If you've configured imap.gmail.com, try switching to imap.googlemail.com. It also might not hurt to stop the Akonadi server, delete all resources, then recreate them through KMail. I just finished doing this today and KMail is working beautifully with Gmail. Even HTML replies!

Comment

I just successfully switched Akonadi's backend from MySQL to SQLite. So far everything looks good and KMail subjectively feels lighter. Gmail operates fine, Google Contacts import successfully.

1. Install the package akonadi-backend-sqlite

2. Stop the Akonadi server

3. Clean your Akonadi config by deleting the following:
                    ~/.config/akonadi/*
                    ~/.kde/share/config/akonadi*
                    ~/.local/share/akonadi/*

According to the source I found for these steps, local contacts and mail aren't stored in these directories unless you explicitly configured an agent that way, so local data is safe.

4. Edit ~/.kde/share/config/kres-migratorrc to prevent the resource migrator from creating a bunch of databases when you restart:

Code:
                    [Migration]
                    Enabled=false
                    5. Because SQLite doesn't appear as an option in the GUI, you have to manually configure it. You'll need to create a new ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc. Here's mine:

Code:
                    [%General]
                    Driver=QSQLITE3

[QSQLITE3]
                    Name=/home/steve/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi.db

[Debug]
                    Tracer=null
                    6. Start the Akonadi server and configure KMail and KAddressBook

7. If you're using Google contacts and don't have a need for local contacts, you can delete the local contacts resource that Akonadi creates when you first start the server

The source I linked above mentions using SQLite for many months now without experiencing any problems. Apparently the current version of SQLite has fixed the problems that were briefly documented on KDE TechBase. It's nice not having to run a full MySQL server just for email!

Comment

I tried with sqlite, it does seems a little faster, but i had an issue with that backend - at times i just couldn't mark mails as read, will try again, maybe something changed in the meantime.
                      sigpic

Comment

Drat... playing some videos this morning and temps soared into the 70s... kmix was the offender.

Played the video with vlc.

Bummer... keyboard controls don't work with pulseaudio, but didn't try to configure anything yet...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                          Originally posted by jcphil
                          It shouldn't be necessary to recreate your folder hierarchy locally -- the point of IMAP is to avoid that.

Which IMAP server are you using for Gmail? If you've configured imap.gmail.com, try switching to imap.googlemail.com. It also might not hurt to stop the Akonadi server, delete all resources, then recreate them through KMail. I just finished doing this today and KMail is working beautifully with Gmail. Even HTML replies!
                          I tried to change that. But when I go to KMail Configuration/Accounts, I go to Receiving, highlight GMail and click Modify...and then nothing happens. So, apparently that's broken too.

Comment

kdemultimedia package with the kmix fix is in the beta ppa.

Code:
                            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                            Many thanks to the KDE and Kubuntu dev teams!

PS: Make sure you have not disabled the beta ppa after updating to 4.8 RC1

Comment

Originally posted by pbh
                              KDE Bug Tracking System
                              I was trying to be ironic in addition to being frustrated. My policy is to report at least all crash bugs such as https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=290109.

Comment

Originally posted by silviucc
                                kdemultimedia package with the kmix fix is in the beta ppa.

Code:
                                sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                                Many thanks to the KDE and Kubuntu dev teams!

PS: Make sure you have not disabled the beta ppa after updating to 4.8 RC1
                                Thanks for the heads up. Kmix works now.

Comment

Working...
                                X