Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-integrate Kfind with Dolphin in Kubuntu 11.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-integrate Kfind with Dolphin in Kubuntu 11.10?

Ok, I recently made the move to Kubuntu 11.10 on my backup computer figuring if everything goes well I will eventually do the same to my main computer. And so far other than some minor annoyances (partly due to the ancient hardware in the system) things are going relatively well.

However when I opened up dolphin and went to search for a file after trying unsuccessfully to find it manually I was presented with the new and jokingly 'Improved' file search utility instead of my trusted Kfind. I would like to know if anyone here knows how I can make dolphin go back to launching Kfind when I try to search for a file.

Like many people I don't like to maintain an index of all of the files on my system because 1. it takes up a large amount of space on the drive when you consider that I have literally millions of files total on my computer, and 2. I don't like having an indexing service running in the background consuming my CPU cycles, and 3. as said this is a bit of an outdated system in terms of hardware.

Unlike many people I don't mind having to wait for a file search to complete usually. My life doesn't run at such a breakneck pace that I can't afford to wait a few minutes.

So I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out how to restore the use of Kfind from within dolphin.

Thanks to anyone who can help,
    bartman2589

Re: Re-integrate Kfind with Dolphin in Kubuntu 11.10?

i'm not sure how to restore it as the default search method for dolphin but you can just run it when you need to search
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Ummmm.....thanks, but no, obviously if I know that the program I was using is Kfind then I already knew that. I want to be able to click the 'Find' button and have it launch Kfind with the path for where I'm currently viewing in dolphin already filled in like it did in Maverick.

Comment

Hello. I'm not at my Kubuntu PC atm, but have you tried seeing if there was a service-menu script for that in KGetHotNewStuff? It's somewhere in Dolphin's settings - there may be one already written. If not, write one and upload it for the community!
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I'll look, but as to me writing a script to do it, I have no clue how to. I have never been able to find ANY tutorials on how to do that for Dolphin (or Konqueror for that matter), I did find a few tutorials on how to write Nautilus scripts to do things, but it seems the kind folks who develop KDE want to keep secrets instead of sharing how to do things like what you suggest. I know for Nautilus there's a really nice program that lets you add custom actions to the context menu but I have yet to see something as well thought out as that for KDE.

Besides, think long and hard about what you said, do you really think that if I knew how to do it that I'd be asking here how to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by bartman2589
            I'll look, but as to me writing a script to do it, I have no clue how to. I have never been able to find ANY tutorials on how to do that for Dolphin (or Konqueror for that matter).
            http://techbase.kde.org/Development/..._Service_Menus
            is one, but it is a tad outdated. Good for the basics, though.

I know for Nautilus there's a really nice program that lets you add custom actions to the context menu but I have yet to see something as well thought out as that for KDE.
            There is this http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=85062, but I haven't used it, so I don't know how well it works.

---
            Anyway, this should add "search with kfind" into the right-click menu>Actions for directories in dolphin:
            Code:
            [Desktop Entry]
            Type=Service
            X-KDE-ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin,inode/directory
            Actions=searchWithKfind;

[Desktop Action searchWithKfind]
            Name=Search with Kfind
            Icon=system-search
            Exec=kfind %u
            Save the file as ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/kfindhere.desktop (for specific users) or
            /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/kfindhere.desktop (for all users)

Comment

Thanks, I found something like that last part on the KDE Apps site, and it seems to work well enough (would still rather have a toolbar button though ). I just wish the KDE devs would have bothered to give people a choice as to whether to use kfind or their shiny new bling bling poor functionality utility. It reminds me of something I read somewhere once in regards to another very large multicolor flag OS manufacturer, "Welcome to Microshaft Winblows, We know how you want to use your computer better than you do, so we've taken the liberty of setting everything up for you without giving you the option to change any of it".

Also thanks for pointing out that Service Menu editor, that's probably about as close as I'm going to get to a dolphin/KDE equivalent to the Nautilus Actions GUI tool (http://ubuntuguide.net/add-items-to-...us-actions-gui) unfortunately.

And also thank you for the link to the tutorial, I guess since I use Dolphin I didn't realize that tutorials that apply to Konqueror would also apply to Dolphin.

Comment

Working...
              X