This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plymouth is for Pilgrims, not PCs

Over in the audio/video forum a question about ATI vs. nVidia branched into a discussion about the merits (or lack thereof) of Plymouth. I expressed my preference for the satisfaction of scrolling boot text and offered a suggestion for restoring that. Then I decided to hunt for a way to eliminate Plymouth completely and found one that works very well.

Two important packages, mountall and cryptsetup, both have hard dependencies on Plymouth. Debate has raged for a while over whether such dependency is really necessary: supporters claim that Plymouth manages the parallel starting of processes while detractors state their systems behave fine without it.

I like to keep my PCs clean of software that I don't use or don't have a need for. To me, Plymouth fits in that category. Perhaps it's my background in information security that compels me to follow this path; uninstalled software doesn't need to be updated and doesn't present security risks. (Note: I'm not implying that Plymouth, specifically, is riddled with attack vectors. I'm simply offering one possible suggestion for my preferred stance.)

Dave Lentz, a Launchpad contributor, appears to share my philosophy. He's contributed a collection of PPAs containing recompiled Ubuntu packages with various dependencies removed. His mediahacks PPA provides versions of mountall and cryptsetup that no longer depend on Plymouth. I added his PPA to my software sources, replaced my existing mountall and cryptsetup with his, then completely purged all packages related to Plymouth.

I must say I'm now very close to boot-time bliss. My laptop greets me with a comforting stream of flicker-free text-mode status messages and flips into graphics mode only when X starts. This, along with some other tweaks, has reduced my power-on-to-Kickoff-ready time to less than 28 seconds. Shaving seconds matters to me because I can't get hibernate to work with the proprietary nVidia drivers.

I have no need for pretty splash screens that conceal what my computer is doing. If you feel the same, then perhaps you might try the tactic I've described here. If there's one thing I've really come to enjoy about Linux and KDE, it's my on-going saga of successfully bending my computer to my will, not the other way around.

Re: Plymouth is for Pilgrims, not PCs

The first encounter of linux for me was with Red Hat Linux.
    The typical booting of RHL was just like you described.
    With push of power button, text lines scrolling past the screen, showing exactly what the computer is doing and what all processes are [OK] and what [Failed]. And then jumping to the GUI ready for action.

1. Will removing/bypassing plymouth (or for that matter any bootsplash) reduce the boot time?
    2. If you are successful in removing the plymouth, can you please share "HowTo" for same?

If any of above questions have affirmative answer.. i would love to try that..

Cheers.
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Excellent post. TYVM.

Taking Occam's razor to Kubuntu...

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by vu2ikl
        1. Will removing/bypassing plymouth (or for that matter any bootsplash) reduce the boot time?
        Well, it certainly feels quicker. Could be a placebo: subjectively, watching things scroll is an improvement over staring at a motionless screen. I haven't rigorously tested it, and I certainly don't intend to go back. My <28 second observation comes from looking at the timestamps in dmesg.

Originally posted by vu2ikl
        2. If you are successful in removing the plymouth, can you please share "HowTo" for same?
        Here's the sequence. Note: this is for Natty. I can't predict how other *buntus will behave.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dtl131/mediahacks
        $ sudo apt-get update
        $ sudo apt-get install mountall cryptsetup
        $ sudo apt-get purge plymouth

Next, follow the steps in my post in the other thread about how to configure GRUB for text mode.

Also, this work will most likely get undone when Oneiric's dist-upgrade comes through. While Natty and Oneiric currently have the same version of cryptsetup, Oneiric's mountall is newer. Thus, we'll have to wait for Dave Lentz to update his PPA or instead follow the slightly more complicated instructions in the Launchpad bug and create a dummy version of Plymouth.
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 29, 2012, 02:00 AM.

Comment

@steveriley thanks for the reply.
          i am using kubuntu natty.
          i opened the grub first. but could not find the "GRUB_TERMINAL=console" line in grub menu.
          should i insert it?
          asus A52N

Comment

What do you mean by "opened the grub first"? Do you need step-by-step instructions for editing your GRUB configuration?

Comment

it meant. it was the first step.
              i have played with grub values a lil. but never "inserted" any new value.
              asus A52N

Comment

Well, after a bit more testing, step 5 in my other post is actually unnecessary. Steps 1 through 4 are sufficient.

Comment

Working...
                X