Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Two snd_hda_intel - how to get rid of one?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Two snd_hda_intel - how to get rid of one?

Hi all, I'm reposting this in this section as I realise I posted it in the wrong one previously.

I appear to have two instances of snd_hda_intel, one from my on-board audio and one on my nvidia graphics card (hdmi, natch). I would like to remove the nvidia one from ever loading up.

Code:
    dmesg | grep "HDA Intel"
    [  17.493127] HDA Intel 0000:00:14.2: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    [  17.594263] HDA Intel 0000:01:00.1: PCI INT B -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
    [  17.594293] HDA Intel 0000:01:00.1: setting latency timer to 64
    Code:
    lspci | grep Audio
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ^snd_hda_intel
    snd_hda_intel     33211 2
    If I could get rid of the nvidia one (IRQ19) I'd be a much happier bunny. I suspect it of not playing nice with the other kids. For instance, if I set alsound to use msi=1 on the module, one of them bumps up to irq 40 or something, and the other one doesn't.

Code:
    dmesg | grep hda[-_]intel
    [  17.594268] hda_intel: Disable MSI for Nvidia chipset
    [  31.923098] hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #1. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.
    I know how to blacklist modules, but as I still want to use it on the other audio device that's not an option.

I have no idea how to stop Natty from loading up drivers for a specific piece of hardware.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
    --
    Intocabile

Re: Two snd_hda_intel - how to get rid of one?

what does cat /proc/asound/modules give you?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

This:

Code:
      cat /proc/asound/modules 
       0 snd_hda_intel
       1 snd_hda_intel
      --
      Intocabile

Comment

OK, that idea is going nowhere.

You could of course disable the undesired device in pavucontrol > Configuration
        but as I recall a problem there is that you never know which hardware device will load into the driver first, if they are using the same module. Worth a try, though.

I wonder if you can disable the unused device in your BIOS (probably not)?
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I have a similar situation on my Asus P6X58D-E motherboard -- both an intel chip and an nvidia chip:

Code:
          00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
          05:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF100 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
          plus a Logitech webcam on the USB bus:

Code:
          Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:08d7 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate STX
          so /cat/proc/asound/modules looks like this:

Code:
           0 snd_hda_intel
           1 snd_hda_intel
           2 snd_usb_audio
          Install paman, padevchooser, pavucontrol, and alsamixergui if you don't have them already. Probably trying to prevent one of the driver modules from loading is not a winning strategy, IMHO. Better to use pavucontrol to disable the one you don't want. On mine, the nvidia audio provides the digital channel, which I don't need, so on the pavucontrol "Configuration" tab, I set the "GF100 High Definition Audio Controller" to "Off", and then work with the Quickcam and the Internal Audio to do my music playing, skyping, etc.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
            I wonder if you can disable the unused device in your BIOS (probably not)?
            Sadly not. One is on the graphics card, the other is on the motherboard. I could disable the one on the motherboard easily, but that's the one I want to keep.

Originally posted by dibl
            Install paman, padevchooser, pavucontrol, and alsamixergui if you don't have them already. Probably trying to prevent one of the driver modules from loading is not a winning strategy, IMHO. Better to use pavucontrol to disable the one you don't want. On mine, the nvidia audio provides the digital channel, which I don't need, so on the pavucontrol "Configuration" tab, I set the "GF100 High Definition Audio Controller" to "Off", and then work with the Quickcam and the Internal Audio to do my music playing, skyping, etc.
            I have done this, and I thank you for the info.

Ideally, I want the OS to not assign an IRQ to the sound chip on the graphics card and make like it's just not there. It's not causing any direct problems I am aware of, I just think that it's messy and I suspect that the nvidia sound (or rather the drivers?) is not really up to par. "Disable MSI for Nvidia chipset" and "IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #1. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj" in dmesg make me think it's not really all that good and if I'm not using it I want rid.

I'm pretty sure that it's always going to pick the motherboard audio first. I've certainly never spotted it doing it the other way round.
            --
            Intocabile

Comment

There is a very large thread about options for the snd_hda_intel driver here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568

didn't slug my way through the whole thing, but it looks like there is at least one person there with a similar issue. Might be of some help.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a trawl ... some time ... could take me a while ...
                --
                Intocabile

Comment

After some research, it seems the simplest way to achieve most of what I want is to remove the device after boot, as per https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....908047#p908047

It's gone from the IRQ list:
                  Code:
                  cat /proc/interrupts | grep intel
                   16:   47082     1    530  IO-APIC-fasteoi  ohci_hcd:usb3, ohci_hcd:usb4, hda_intel
                  Gone from aplay:
                  Code:
                  aplay -l
                  **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
                  card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887 Analog [ALC887 Analog]
                   Subdevices: 1/1
                   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                  card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887 Digital [ALC887 Digital]
                   Subdevices: 1/1
                   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                  Gone from lspci:
                  Code:
                  lspci | grep Audio
                  00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
                  Gone from asound modules:
                  Code:
                  cat /proc/asound/modules
                   0 snd_hda_intel
                  And see it come and go in dmesg:
                  Code:
                  dmesg | grep -i intel | grep -i hda
                  [  14.737516] HDA Intel 0000:00:14.2: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
                  [  14.851081] HDA Intel 0000:01:00.1: PCI INT B -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
                  [  14.851084] hda_intel: Disable MSI for Nvidia chipset
                  [  14.851111] HDA Intel 0000:01:00.1: setting latency timer to 64
                  [  17.101234] HDA Intel 0000:01:00.1: PCI INT B disabled
                  So whilst I'd rather it went before it came, after will just have to do.

Thanks for all the hints, tips, suggestions etc - we got there in the end
                  --
                  Intocabile

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Two snd_hda_intel - how to get rid of one?

I just recently lost my sound somehow - everything seems OK - but I can't youtube any more
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

I have:
                    patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~$ cat /proc/asound/modules
                    0 snd_hda_intel
                    1 snd_hda_intel
                    patti@dv7t-Kubuntu64:~$

Is this the problem? All I did was install webcam apps from the repo and sound disappeared. I will try the alsamixergui to see if there's some channel that's set to zero. Any other help?

EDIT; WOW - this is hard! OK, so pulse audio volume control, on the last tab (Configuration) I turned off Redwood HDMI audio (yes I have an HDMI second monitor on my laptop) and my sound came back. Wow. So many settings!!!!! I've always avoided pulseaudio like the plague, but apparently not any more. Hopefully this "fix" will "stick." Thank you very much for your expertise in this thread! I did a search under "no audio" and found this thread, BTW.
                    Patti

Comment

Working...
                    X