Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HowTo: Kopete setup for Facebook chat - 1 critical item not in Facebook instruct

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HowTo: Kopete setup for Facebook chat - 1 critical item not in Facebook instruct

Hi
    I want to thank Telengard for getting me pointed in the correct direction on this. There is a "skin" for Kopete at KDE look for connecting to Facebook that I thought was cool, but didn't seem to work and Telengard's links provided the instructions for pidgin which I was able to use for Kopete.

There is a critical step that is left out of the instructions at Facebook and that is to check "exclude from connect all.

Here are the original instructions from Facebook and my additions and comments on what is not, now, necessary, I guess because of new Web standards or something.

these items from the Facebook info page:

Pigdin

Go to "Accounts" and select "Manage Account."
    Create a new account with the following settings:

Under Basic:
    Protocol: XMPP (you do not have to fill this in: XMMP and Jabber are "the same thing" and there is no place to do it anyway.
    Username: your Facebook username (woodsmoke(AT)chat.facebook.com
    Domain: "chat.facebook.com" (this will be filled in automatically in the next tab).
    Resource: "pidgin" change to "kopete"(again filled in automatically in the next tab)
    Password: your facebook password
    Local alias: "Facebook Chat" (I did not see a "local alias" in setup but there may be a place and I did not need one).

Under Advanced:
    Uncheck Require SSL/TLS (actually uncheck use protocol encrypt SSL and Allow plain-text pass auth and override defalut serv info - that is uncheck all of them)
    Connect port: 5222 (this is automatically provided)
    Connect server: chat.facebook.com (this is automatically provided).

WHAT IS NOT SAID: GO BACK TO BASIC SETUP and CHECK(that is put in a checkmark) in "Exclude from connect all" --- that is "check the box".

And it all works.

Again, I want to thank Telengard for providing linkys to stuff that I did not know about.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Yes but until I actually logged into facebook and set a username it did not work. My suggestion to add is. If you can only login to facebook with your usernameemail. Then you have not set your username yet and the instructions in this thread will not be able to authenticate your login.

To set your username in facebook. Login and go into account settings. Then set username.

Comment

good one pauly!

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

LOL no problem.

Comment

Working...
        X